Community College Financial Aid

http://wral.com/news/state/story/2924399/

This is a cause for concern among the EMS community, especially at a time where we are trying to encourage degree programs among paramedics. The school featured is one of the few colleges in NC that offers an Associate Degree paramedic program. For most of us, a bachelors degree seems a bit out of reach, especially with starting salaries less than 40K. Paying back 4 years worth of student loans on a starting medics salary seems daunting.

Googling reveals lots of scholarships for other healthcare professionals, especially nurses, but few for EMS.

I live in CA. I was given $2,200 + school loans as financial aid to assist me while attending my paramedic program this year (or 1 semester worth of aid). My program is technically 2 semesters (although it will take me 13 months) and I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it was slightly harder than 2 semesters of general education which would have netted twice the amount of aid.

They said because It's a continuing program they cannot "pay me twice" everything counts as the fall semester.

I'm hoping someday to have an effect on the system to increase the level of education for paramedics along with assistance to get through school because it really is ridiculous right now. It's all about nursing here unfortunately.

It's all about [s:6029dbb63c]nursing[/s:6029dbb63c] firemonkeys here unfortunately.

Fixed that for ya. :wink:

I live in CA. I was given $2,200 + school loans as financial aid to assist me while attending my paramedic program this year (or 1 semester worth of aid). My program is technically 2 semesters (although it will take me 13 months) and I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it was slightly harder than 2 semesters of general education which would have netted twice the amount of aid.

They said because It's a continuing program they cannot "pay me twice" everything counts as the fall semester.

I'm hoping someday to have an effect on the system to increase the level of education for paramedics along with assistance to get through school because it really is ridiculous right now. It's all about nursing here unfortunately.

California tuition per credit is some of the cheapest I have seen in 30 years. Isn't it still $20 - $25/per credit?

Community colleges in Florida are $55 - $75/credit.

Yeah that's a bunch more we do have it pretty good in CA. I went into the year thinking I could go without funding I was honestly fortunate to get the help I got... it's just not very much when you consider how intensive a paramedic program is and that most of the time the students aren't fresh high school grads living at home. Hopefully there will be more scholarships and funding for future paramedic students =)

Hopefully there will be more scholarships and funding for future paramedic students =)

I dunno. There aren't enough jobs for paramedics in SoCal to make investing in the process worthwhile. Why would the government want to put money into creating a glut of something we don't need? Wait... nevermind. I know why. Because stupidity is what the government does best! :D

I am currently attending a community college here in Minnesota in the AS Paramedic program. The average cost of tuition per credit is $135.00 per credit. I have received some financial aid but I have paid for most of it myself, five semesters worth. Oh well.

I am currently attending a community college here in Minnesota in the AS Paramedic program. The average cost of tuition per credit is $135.00 per credit. I have received some financial aid but I have paid for most of it myself, five semesters worth. Oh well.

That comes to about $9k plus another $1000 for books and supplies for an Associates degree.

That is still almost $5000+ cheaper than the Medic Mills in California and Florida which comes to about $15 - $20 per hour of training.

It seems that we are in a transition period where many paramedics are reaching for that degree, which is definitely a positive thing and advancement to the profession. However, the financial aid available to paramedic students is very little in comparison to other health care professions. Couple that with the fact that so few paramedic students are living at home with mommy and daddy. Most of us are paying for our tuition (and books-ouch!) ourselves working nights and weekends as EMTs. Community colleges are becoming less an less affordable and with the economic situation, student loans are more difficult to get and more expensive.