New Hampshire Protocol for AED use, EMT-B practical station

Hi, I'm a Firefighter with some EMS questions, hopefully someone can help me out. Does anyone know the protocol for AED use in New Hampshire? Is it 5 cycles of CPR before using the AED as AHA standards outline? Or do you immediately shock upon completion of initial assessment of ABC's (no pulse)? At the NH practical station, I'm told CPR is NOT being preformed by bystanders and you have just 1 emt-b assistant when the station begins unlike the nremt skill sheet... any suggestions from anyone in NH or familiar with their protocols/emt-b practical? Also, does the emt-b assistant carry out ventilations and cpr during the 2 minutes after the initial shock? Help!

• 2 weeks later...

Uhm, doing some EMT-B instruction in NH leads me to believe that for the Cardiac Arrest management station, CPR is performed by bystanders when you enter the room.

Scene Safe/ BSI

Verify that it is actually a Pulseless victim [Open Airway, 2 breaths, check pulse]

Resume CPR, turn on AED, Attatch Electrodes, clear patient and analyze.

Reclear patient, and Shock.

First Shock must be within 90 seconds [Or - Critical Failure, and pay another $20-$50 for the station next week]

Resume CPR immediately. 5 cycles of good CPR, interrupted for less than 10 seconds for any reason [excluding analysis]. During this time, it's your choice. You can do compressions [30/2], OR, you can manage the airway. My advise to you is to manage the airway. It's easier, and requires less thought. Whenever the compression stop, breath twice... Don't forget to 'tie up your loose ends' of the station. Call for ALS, Attatch the BVM to 15 lpm O2, and insert a BLS Airway adjunct of your choice. Just make sure to verbalize exactly what you want your partner to do, because that's what they will do. If they do it wrong, you told them wrong, and you'll be back next week.

[Next Advisory will be "No Shock Advised", as Pulse returns with pulse check but still apneic]

Manage the airway with BLS Airway Adjunct for 30 seconds both as 1 person rescuer, and 2 person BVM. 10-12/ minute.

Do all of that in under 10 minutes = Win.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.