National Curriculum Changes

emttut

Has anyone heard any recent news on the proposed changes to the National Curriculum. The change that I am most interested/upset about is the the changes to the Intermediate Level. I've been informed that they are planning on "dumbing down" the I curriculum so that it is more closely related to the old curriculum. I was informed that this is because there are many states that are currently not "accepting" the current I curriculum. If this is true, I feel that it is a huge step backwards.

Many states, perhaps most, I'm not sure, don't utilize Intermediates at their trained level.

I think that you'll find that many here think that is a good thing, simply because there are to many levels of EMS already, so it simply makes sense to make the standard paramedic, as opposed to intermediate.

Also, if the states are not using them, I don't see where dumbing down the curriculum would encourage them to do so. Raising it maybe...though I'm not sure.

I haven't heard of the changes, but CO, at least my area, doesn't recognize (what I've heard, not verified) intermediates so uses those moving into the area as basics until they are able to obtain their medic.

Dwayne

Right now the changes are in the discussion phase, and if you want to have your voice heard AnthonyM83 started a thread about that very subject.

The intermediate level is obsolete. It was put in place to supply advanced providers to areas that couldn't justify paramedics. Those areas that are currently using the I99 level are doing it so they don't have to employ paramedics and still get the same level of service.

The current basic curriculum is closer to what the original intermediate level was intended to be, and the I99 is a lesser version of the current paramedic curriculum which is woefully inadequate. INCREASE the requirements for everyone, eliminate the intermediate altogether, require a degree from the providers, and offer licensure for those that take this seriously.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.