Cleveland EMS

I found these news stories today. Interesting investigation and reporting.

And I have to say it's nice to see the abuse outlined in such a manner. It's nice to see at least one public official sit up and take notice. It's a shame that the Cleveland EMS commissioner made it so easy for the reporters to make him look incompetent.

Thoughts?

-be safe

Just from my general impression the news media is what pushed the issue. EMS commissioner Jackson called out councilman Polensek about media pressure, only to be told by Polensek that it was a matter of common sense. Well, where was your common sense years ago when the problem started?

I thought the use of the Richmond Ambulance Authority was a good idea. I did not know they had such a system in place. The only problem I see with the Richmond model is that it seems the RAA medics were not allowed to refuse transport. So if a nurse saw it as necessary for an ambulance, then one would be sent, and just like old times, you call we haul.

Mike, you say it was easy to make commissioner Jackson look incompetent. I would have liked to hear what he thought of the situation. Although I will most likely disagree with what he says, I think it was probably slanted by the media. He obviously called out councilman Polensek about media pressure, for us to find out that Polensek lies saying it was not media pressure but common sense that pushes the issue. What a moron. My observation is that he is going to ride this one out taking credit that he was the fix of the problem come time for re-election.

Too bad more people were not aware of what shambles the EMS system is in. I hope support like that moves us toward change.

Just thinking out loud here, I wonder if Commissioner Jackson's statement about leaving people out of the health care system because of a policy made due to media pressure is meaning that he is for change, but not hasty change. Maybe he thinks quick change that is not thought out and well planned will end up hurting his ambulance system in the near future or allowing people to fall through the cracks. This is probably not the case, but just something to be thought provoking.

Oh, and I loved the comment made by someone in the interviews, but I cannot remember who. He said something along the lines of "well, everyone found a way home from the hospital" (in reference to non priority patients).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.