Learning Cardiology

What all is in the book? Is it dysrhythmia interpretation or is it 12, 15, or 18 lead interpretations, does it cover it all? How much anatomy does it go into? Do you think I would come out know more after Cardiology in A&P and a full semester of Cardiology? What is the degree of information in it?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite what everyone is saying, there are plenty of good resources to assist you with learning to interpret ECGs. Dubin's book is just one of them.

Personally, I never liked it. I much prefer Mary Boudreau Conover's text, but that is the detail orientation I have to bear.

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Electr...r/dp/0815119275

• 2 weeks later...

I found out that interpretation is so easy it's hard. You might find it difficult then one day something will click and you'll have it figured out. When looking at a strip remember the basics and work your way up until you have identified it. I assume you have sat at an ICU monitoring desk and watched rhythms. If not, try and do it. It will help. The generated strips are for basic learning. After that go over every strip you can find.

You'll do fine. Confusion just leads to knowledge.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey EMSgeek . I just went through cardiology so in case this helps...

Our instructor taught us to approach ecg's with whatever comes natural. Some people for example when they first see a strip see what is wrong with it and figure it out (I do). Others take the same approach to every strip like finding P waves then regularity etc. Either way we are instructed to take a common/methodical approach everytime.

For heart blocks in simple terms to decide which type it is I take 3 steps:

1) P waves...(too many?

2) PRI... (too long? varies? constant? grows?)

3) QRS... (size?)

For me the kicker is the PRI which tells you what type of block you have. If it grows it's wenkebach or if it varies it should be some kind of 3rd degree block and finally a constant would either be 1st degree or 2nd degree type II. Focusing on the PRI made them easy to remember for me.

Hope this helps.

I have to agree with EMS49393 that it all starts with a good foundation and knowalage of A&P. then sit down with a seasoned medic in your service and have show you strips from past runs and show you why they interpit them the way they do. if needed get several opinions on strips. there is a book out there by Gail Walraven. I hated it during Medic school but looking back now it was a great help.

One thing that has always stuck with me from when I was first starting out, at first, if it's irregular, think a-fib. From there just break it down to confirm a-fib or another dysrhythmia. It has served me well. Don't get in a hurry when identifying a strip. Take your time. You'll find out that more actual strips, not always generated one's, how much quicker and more accurate you can be. But even cardiologist and rhythm techs. call back to the basics when they get something funky show up.

• 1 month later...

I, too am wading my way through cardiology classes right now. I am lucky to have some excellent instructors who told us to find an interpretation text we could get with and work with it -- no particular text was required. I have Dubin but I really like Garcia better. Other folks in my class opted for Page's twelve lead book, which I also have and refer to in conjunction with Garcia. I think it depends on your style of learning and obsessiveness level.

Bob Page's 12-lead book is the best one I've seen. It's concise and accurate. I also have the Walraven book, which is a good book because you have to learn lead II.

Again, I stress that anatomy and physiology of the cardiovascular system, especially the conduction system of the heart, is ESSENTIAL to being able to comfortably and quickly interpret a rhythm strip. All the tricks and memorization in the world is not going to help you if you can't recite the conduction system and corresponding complexes.

Learn your cardiac A&P, amaze your co-workers with your mad rhythm reading skills! Chicks dig a paramedic that can navigate his way around a heart! See, I have a sense of humor. :P