I need help with EMT B Chapter tests

I am horrible at taking written tests, when it comes to the hands on, I can do it successfully and am pretty good at it. I can handle patients in the back of the box just fine, but have always had a hard time with the written tests. One thing that I have done to help get myself through paramedic school, is to go online and google free tests and I have also bought test prep. books from barnes and noble. I find that the more of these tests I take and the more questions I answer, the higher scores I get on my tests in class. I don't know if this would work for you, but it might be worth a try.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I've been a EMT-B for almost a year.The course was hard and the tests ,at first ,the hardest.

One piece of advice ,when taking the test is, not to read into the questions.Only answer the question asked.Easier said the done,but with that advise and earplugs you can do this.I have 5 kids ranging from 8-23yr.I studied every night until I couldn't stay awake.I made flashcards with terms on one side and the answers on the other.

Use family members ,friends to help you study and practice for your practical.The funny part is my kids new alot of the terms and sometimes knew the answers better than me.

BTW, I took my course in NH and now work with my small town as a volunteer and the adjoining town, I work on the ambulance.The point is to work very hard and never give up and you will do fine. I use to be where you are now,and if you are like me , in a year, you will being sitting down , writing to someone else giving them advise on, how to get through there course, on this very website.Good Luck

I don't have a learning disability but I do have test anxiety. You didn't specify what your disability is so if it is testing problems then here is what I did. I had a solid A through my entire class and I understood all the material but if you were to put a test in front of me, my mind went blank. That test was huge for me and I was not gonna fail it. There are websites online where you can take practice tests. I did 1 a night. Just to get my mind in the test taking mode. Once I did that, the test seemed like a breeze.

I may be late in responding to this post too. Good luck and DON'T give up...there are ways to accommodate around your disability.

I have two disabilities and I got through EMT class fine. People around me didn't think I could do it...I knew that they were wrong and I proved it. I had to conquer fear first. Then, I took an EMT book and read it from front to back before I took the college EMT class...passed it with an A. I can't learn by listening but by reading. I have APD (Auditory Processing Disorder) which wasn't discover till now as well as having a hearing disability since birth. I'm a fluent lip reader and able to understand someone without a voice (ones with laryngostoma and usually have a tube in it). So, my point is...don't give up hope. We are all not perfect...

I'd stay away from the arrogant people who are negative in everything...it's a waste of time. The people that are positive and very encouraging is the best to be with (are very wise).

Good luck!

~Amy~