I need help with EMT B Chapter tests

Hi, I may be a little late, but I am an instructor, if you think you would like some help I would be happy to help..... I have worked with people from every walk of life.... I have been helping students for at least eight years. let me know E

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched a lot of my fellow EMTB classmates walk out (which by the way was NOT only a 3 week class!!)

Just FYI, 120 hours equals three weeks, no matter how many weeks or months your school decided to drag that 120 hours out. If yours was a whopping 160 hours (four weeks), congratulations, but it's still no big deal.

I also have a learning disability. I can't listen to the teacher. I have to teach myself. I am very much a kenetic learner. when I went through my emt-b course I pretty much just sat there with ear plugs in my ears reading the book myself. I didn't really do so well with my tests either, but somehow I managed to pass with an 87. find what works for you. my husband needs a study buddy, otherwise he won't understand. even if his study buddy (me) just sits there watching. :?: :?: honestly though, I think most people (to some extent) have some sort of learning "disability". but I wouldn't call it a "disability" per say, just, ... a studying preference. I told my instructor at the beggining of the course to just let me sit in the back and learn on my own. he let me "try" it for a few classes, and when I did pretty well on my first (yes the easiest) tests he let me study my way. and it worked for me. are you better at listening and comprehending? or watching and understanding? if you take the time (a good ratio is 1:2.5 for every hour of class you're in, you need to study for 2.5 hours.... ok, so that didn't work for me. I was a full time welder and couldn't put that many hours into studying, but I did manage to study an average 2 hours/night.) and study, you'll do fine. find what works for you, and go with it.

I suggest ear plugs when you're studying and when you are taking your test. it worked for me. and before the test, close your eyes (ear plugs in) and take a few deep breaths. relax. think about everything calmly. if you panic, everything you worked so hard to remember goes flying out the panic window. but try the ear plugs. they really do help. :|

Ok well I thank all those for the negative as well as positive feed back. I'm so not ready to throw the towel in yet I know i can do it It's not about following in any ones foot step's it about doing something i have always wanted to do and i know i can do it. I know when im in the felid im not going to have book's or lecture to here and read. I know there are alot of people with my same problems im not looking for someone to tell me how to do it or take the easy road threw the course.Just positive suggestions. Im not some Young right out of school Adrenaline junkie .

Im a 34 single Mom of 3 lookin to better her life and do what i want to do. I want to help people and make a difference.I'm not a quieter never have been and never will be.

Ok well I thank all those for the negative as well as positive feed back.
I didn't read any negative feedback. In fact, I believe most were encouraging you.
I know when im in the felid im not going to have book's or lecture to here and read.
The thing is, you/we have to read the books, take the tests and sit through lectures to understand what to do in the field.

Im a 34 single Mom of 3 lookin to better her life and do what i want to do. I want to help people and make a difference.I'm not a quieter never have been and never will be.
I applaud your desire to want to help people. As stated above, try and see if you can get and receive the help you require to succeed. You may find that although your desire to want to help people is admirable, this profession may not be the best way to do it.

Good luck with your studies. I hope you find the help you need.

I can tell you what helped me :|

(I am a 34 yr old mother of three but not single...)

Even if you are not using the books you can go to

http://www.emtb.com/9e/

It is the website for the text we used and is helpful even if you are using different text. Go through all of it and you will get good practice.

How much and where are you studying? I may be completely odd but I was originally isolating myself to study and it was not doing it for me. I started sitting in the living room and letting the chaos of the house surround me as I studied and telling my kids and husband about what I was learning as I went. Sounds crazy but I just got my final grade last night and I passed with a 96. I am not saying that this will work for you but I am saying experiment and find what works for you. You will have to dedicate a lot of time to this and I am sure that being a single mother is going to make this very hard. I wish you a ton of luck.

One more thing.... as a single mother just trying to better her family's life what made you choose EMS? I only say because it is a bit dangerous and not very well paid as far as lines of work go. Maybe something like a CDL would better suit your situation. Short hands on classes. Good pay after you are licensed. You could drive a school bus and make 16 per hour and take the kids with you to work...

Just a thought

I'm a little confused here. Outside of a well needed "For the love of all that is good and holy, turn your caps lock off" comment, there wasn't really anything negative posted. The comments were generally study harder, seek help if you have a learning disability, and maybe EMS isn't the right field. Let's face some music here, EMS is not for everyone. Neither is fire fighting, nursing, medicine, engineering, singing, or any other career. If I was asking advice, I'd rather have honest advice like what has mentioned here than a bunch of Rah-Rah smoke blown up my butt.

So, could you please point out the "mean" posts since the only ad hominem posts I've seen here so far have been yours?

Just because she has a learning disabilty doesn't mean she can't complete the task. It will just take time. The EMT'S noted above assumed that she just wanted to be in ems due to her father! That's not the case, obviously she wants to help people, so encourage not run her off.

Ok, I've read through the thread for a second time today, and as before, I don't see anyone telling her to just quit. I see people telling her to be honest. I see people telling her that she will still have to meet basic standards regardless of any accommodations that her school or the testers (NREMT or state tests) make for her in terms of reading and writing. What I do not see is people telling her to just get out.

As far as wanting to help people, there are other ways to help people. A want and willingness to help means very little in EMS if you lack the ability to administer basic care. Learning disabilities, depending on the type and severity, have the possibility of making it so a would-be provider lacks the ability to meet the minimum requirements. In a situation like this, it is much better to provider a person with a realistic assessment, options, and recommendations (as an example, seeking help from resources on campus if need be) than blow smoke and have a person waste their time and money running around in circles. If this is 'too harsh' or 'too negative,' then all I have to say is "too bad." Life is not fair nor is it kind. Life is like poker. We all get dealt a different hand in life, but what matters the most is what we choose to do with the cards. A pair of twos will beat a flush if the flush folds.

Who cares if it's a 3 week course so.... who cares how much the course.....so what, give her hope and advise to help her not discourage her. I would never ask anybody on here for advice, them two^ don't uk names need to get they heads out of the clouds, to me they act like they know it ALL, AND YES ILM USING CAPS AGAIN! SO WHAT.... ENJOY YOUR DAY SWEETIE!

The length of the course matters greatly. The simple fact is that 99.9999% of EMT-B courses, regardless of calendar or hour length, lack any sort of academic rigor. If EMT-B course is going to OMGWTFBBQ you, especially if it's due to a learning disability, then paramedic class isn't going to be easy in any sense of the word. Little less when a provider goes and increases their education (which all providers should) by taking college level courses like anatomy, physiology, biochem, and chemistry. Any one who thinks that an EMT-B course is the end all, be all of prehospital medical knowledge is a fool and a danger to their patients.

Again, I imagine that the original poster would like a fair and honest opinion, and that's what I've seen being given in this thread.