ER Access Keypads- Opinions?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have badges we just use to scan into the ED. No MRSA infested key pads.

No, just MRSA infected proximity badges. That said, it's much easier to keep badges clean, but its impractical if you go to more than 1 or 2 hospitals.

No, just MRSA infected proximity badges. That said, it's much easier to keep badges clean, but its impractical if you go to more than 1 or 2 hospitals.

Depends on the Proxi Card. Some places have it set up where the proximity pad is down around waist level, and you don't have to even pull the card from your wallet. Just swipe your arse around the pad and keep going. But yeah, I agree that the badge style cards suck as bad as a keypad. Worse, in fact. I refuse to have that crap hanging off my uniform.

my new favorite one is the bright shiny red button (read panic button) on the outside door of the newest remodeled ED. Cool thing is you smack it with the elbow---and it automatically calls the receptionist in the other wing of the hospital (about 1/2 mile away)

We stood there the other night for about 5 minutes (no kidding) working a code waiting for a door check! One of the guys kept saying 'dominoes pizza' which probably didn't help much either....

Pads are nasty---perimeter badges are cooler----why not have a direct access PERSON to let you in?! makes sense to me!

...why not have a direct access PERSON to let you in?! makes sense to me!

...but not to the hospital CEO, who doesn't want to pay a security guard $6 dollars an hour to stand there and do it.

Just wash your hands after you use the keypad, before you touch the patient to take vitals, and after your touch the patient, and after you finish the ACR, and alcohol when you get in the bus :roll:

seems like common sense to me :)

Paying someone to be on "door monitor duty" would make sense to anyone but that CEO, as mentioned, but remember, I live and work in New York City, where anyone who works for a municipal employee union, and there's a lot of us, can tell you,

If it makes sense, it's against someone's rules and regulations, or against the law.

at least we got good use out of our geezer squeezer---man that thing is cool....

Sure beats the crap out of the old thumper.

Anyways....you can pick up worse stuff from shaking hands (if you have a moment, research Robert D. Raiford on the John Boy and Billy Big Show---he is the most ANTI hand shaking person in the world)

This is one of those issues I want to apply common sense (if there is any) engineering to---we need a system to allow 'permitted' entities to enter and leave at will from the ED area, while denying unauthorized personnel access.

I propose a segmented land mine man trap with double strung barbed razor wire and body heat detecting anti personnel missles with patrolling robotic killing dogs....

Works almost as well as having the big red button on the wall going to the reception desk 2 buildings away.....

I propose a segmented land mine man trap with double strung barbed razor wire and body heat detecting anti personnel missles with patrolling robotic killing dogs....

No sharks? Sharks with laser beams on their head?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.