SVT/A-Tach/MAT

Hey Everyone

I was reading on some arrhythmias, and couldn't find the answer to this online or in any books...

How do you differentiate between SVT, Atrial Tachycardia, and MAT? I'm confused by this, and having trouble understanding.

Thanks,

Chris

In SVT you are going to see changes in the QRS complex, in atrial tachycardia you are going to see changes in the P waves, and in MAT you will see multiple changes in your P Waves (not one P wave will look the same).

I hope this helps....I wish I had pics for you but :| Good luck!

~Ec

I am going to take a stab at this.

SVT = Supraventricular Tachycardia. This means any tachycardia that originates above the ventricles. Some possibilities are junctional tachycardia, sinus tachycardia, atrial tachycardia, uncontrolled atrial fibrillation, atrial flutter, and multifocal atrial pacemaker.

So SVT can mean a lot of different tachycardias. It is easy to call a rhythm SVT when one cannot see P waves and just lump it in the SVT group. To figure out with "SVT" you are looking at the following information might be helpful.

Wandering atrial pacemaker will be at a rate less than 100, with variable p wave morphologies.

Multifocal atrial pacemaker will be the same as wandering atrial pacemaker, but at a rate greater than 100.

Atrial tachycardia caused by a re-entry pathology will generally be at a rate of greater than 180, with a narrow QRS complex, and no visible p waves.

MAT has at least three different P wave morphologies. If the rate is fast enough you really can't tell the difference between the three rhythms.

Live long and prosper.

Spock

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.