Re taking the basic course??

No, retaking basic would be a waste of your time and money.

I say this because the paramedic material covers the basic material plus going further in depth into various diseases processes and treatment. In addition, paramedic class is about learning to think like an ALS provider, so a semester of relearning to think like a BLS provider is not beneficial.

If there is some information that you are uncomfortable with from BLS class, reread those portions of the text to solidify the knowledge.

This is to the same effect of asking, should I retake CNA before I start RN?

Simple answer is no. If there is basic material you need to brush up on grab the EMT book and do so on you own or find help and save yourself the time and money of retaking the class.

If you drastically feel the need to spend money and time, just take the refresher. Just about the entire EMT-B class in 24 hours of time. On the other hand, just picking up a text book and self studying is probably cheaper and faster.

I agree with taking a refresher course. There are usually several throughout each state that offers the National Registry. At least the part with the skills might be helpful. For the education part, a good text or online refresher course would be adequate.

An even better option would be instead of retaking the EMT class, you could use that time to take a college level A&P class.

Remember, guys, reading the book doesn't do dick for your bandaging and splinting, immobilisation and extrication, and trauma assessment skills. Those are the things she needs to refresh, not the book knowledge. I don't think a full EMT course is necessary by any means. But a refresher is a great idea before hitting medic school. You'll get some supervised time doing the monkey skills, as well as hitting the high points of theory and lecture. Definitely a good way to go if you haven't had a chance to apply anything since graduation.

I would agree with Vent that college A&P is indeed the very best possible preparation for medic school though, bar none. And Intermediate school is a bigger waste of time and money than retaking the full EMT course. Go big or go home. Good luck!

Remember, guys, reading the book doesn't do dick for your bandaging and splinting, immobilisation and extrication, and trauma assessment skills. Those are the things she needs to refresh, not the book knowledge. I don't think a full EMT course is necessary by any means. But a refresher is a great idea before hitting medic school. You'll get some supervised time doing the monkey skills, as well as hitting the high points of theory and lecture. Definitely a good way to go if you haven't had a chance to apply anything since graduation.

I would agree with Vent that college A&P is indeed the very best possible preparation for medic school though, bar none. And Intermediate school is a bigger waste of time and money than retaking the full EMT course. Go big or go home. Good luck!

I actually have never had a hard time with A&P. I have one of those funny brains that remember the things like that. Plus I do deal with crazy old people all day long that lose body parts like you wouldn't believe. (not really, I work on a severe dementia/alzheimer unit, so we lose things like eyes and legs a lot if you ask most people.) I am gonna look into the Refresher course I think as DustDevil suggested.

I actually have never had a hard time with A&P. I have one of those funny brains that remember the things like that. Plus I do deal with crazy old people all day long that lose body parts like you wouldn't believe. (not really, I work on a severe dementia/alzheimer unit, so we lose things like eyes and legs a lot if you ask most people.) I am gonna look into the Refresher course I think as DustDevil suggested.

I sure you you meant losing prosthetic eyes or prosthetic legs. A fair question would be what the heck does losing a prosthetic leg have to do with anatomy and physiology.

If they are losing real legs and real eyes then you have more issues than simply needing to retake your emt class.

Are you referring to EMT-B A&P or a college level A&P?

I would hope one doesn't have a hard time with EMT-B A&P since there is very little in the curriculum.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.