• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A who and a what?

http://www.jbpub.com/catalog/9780763729073/

Nancy Caroline's Emergency Care in the Streets, Sixth Edition 2008

American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS), Nancy L. Caroline

The Sixth Edition honors Dr. Caroline’s work with a clear, fun, understandable writing style for which she was known.

Welcome back a familiar training companion to your classroom! Say hello to Sidney Sinus, AV Abe, and a cast of memorable characters and amusing anecdotes. Make learning for your students more fun!

The other is Dale Dubin's Rapid Interpretation of EKGs. It is a fill-in-the-blank style that is similar to a 5th grade reader in format. You either love it or hate it. It has some very good information if you can get past that style of presentation.

I'll have to check the library at work to see if we have either. I viewed them a little at amazon. After looking Caroline's book over, I seem to recall my medic instructor mentioning her book. She discribed it as a love it or hate it book. You're dead on about Dubin's book from what I saw. It was very interesting, but it was written like I should be reading it to my toddler son.

Thanks for the info, Vent.

The Dubin book may appear oversimplified in it's approach at first evaluation, however it is actually laid out in the manner most conducive to individual learning. Think about it; how that book is programmed (and thus called a "programmed text") is exactly how you learn on your own. You hear/read the info. You hear/read it again. You explore more context for the information, reinforcing it in your head. Then, at the end, you understand an entire concept through repetition and the building upon a simple foundation. Whether you do that with lectures, textbooks, flashcards, and all night cram sessions, or with Dubin's book, the result is the same. Although, with the book, it will usually happen a lot faster and easier.

I love Dubin's book.

I actually think it might be worthwhile to read that at the start of cardiology to form a framework and context for what you're learning, then read it again when you get to EKGs or the end of the course ;)