S.A.L.L.Y

napave

My god, is it really this difficult to understand where the anatomy and physiology come into play? :shock:

Yes. :D

Sorry. I could not resist. The stress of learning the 12 lead is cooking my brain.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your instructors really think this is important to you, then they have FAILED to give you a good cardiological education. If you really understand the concepts -- which is crucial to competent practice -- then SALI is of no value to you. There are few things in the world that are more dangerous than someone who knows how to perform ALS, but does not thoroughly understand why.

But hey, at least it makes a lot more sense than DCAPBTLS.

Even if you understand the concept, isn't it a helpful tool?

Wouldn't it save a step? When you're looking at the EKG print-out, you don't have to think back to where each electrode was placed and deduce it every single time (if you do it enough it can become second nature, but some systems might be low volume or there's so much going on during internship that an acronym would help).

It just reminds of the 3-lead White Over Right thread...just because one uses the mnemonics doesn't mean one doesn't understand how the leads work.

Even if you understand the concept, isn't it a helpful tool?

All crutches are "helpful" in the short term. The question is whether they are "important" or helpful to your overall or long-term development.

I have a brace for my leg that is "helpful" for me to walk without as much of an impaired gait. However, every day I wear it, it takes away from the long term development and recovery of the leg itself. Would you say I should wear that brace more or less?

This is how I see the problem: Your cardiology course should have covered cardiac A&P, coronary vessel and heart wall relationship, and localization of changes in such depth that it should be second nature when you are looking at a 12 lead.

Do they even cover Eithoven's triangle and limb lead axis relationship in school or is it simply the white and right smoke over fire stuff?

I do not have an aversion to memory aids; however, a foundation of knowledge and understanding must exist. Not a challenge or flame AnthonyM83, I just see allot of people simply remember a phrase without having any real understanding of the actual physiology behind the phrase.

Take care,

chbare.

Do they even cover Eithoven's triangle and limb lead axis relationship in school or is it simply the white and right smoke over fire stuff?

Take care,

chbare.

My school does. I have to be able to identify the axis (RAD, ERAD, LAD, etc). Not just the rhythm. Maybe I should have gone to the 10 week school that promises you will pass NR paramedic exam. No not really. If I screw up it's a long way to the hospital.

I like memory aids but to make them effective you have to have a good foundation. Yes you could probably pass the test but once in the field not much help if you do not know what in the hell it really means.

One of the first vehicles I owned was a '81 Toyota Corona (yes, like the beer) which had a 5 speed manual transmission. Like most manual trans vehicles, the shift pattern was on the gearshift handle. The first couple times I drove it, I had to look to make sure I was starting out in first gear and not second which would kill the engine or worse yet, reverse which may prompt a conversation with a fellow driver and/or cop. But after a few trips I didn't refer to it at all and replaced it with the high school dream handle: a beer tapper handle.

I view mneumonics the same way. They'll help at first, but if you can't function without them, you're going to crash.

sorry i asked........didn't even know what the damn thing was so attacking my education is really uneccessary...I work for a service that doesn't even have twelve lead so it is all foreign to me. We are just starting into the 12 lead part of cardiology and he happened to mention this little tool. thought I would really get some help on this site, but I guess I was WRONG!

Thanks to those of you that are trying to be supportive and for the deifinition of the mneumonic.

Sorry to dustdevil if I offended you by typing all caps. Won't bother you or any other paramedic with my stupid little questions again since you obviously think part of your job is NOT to help educate those of us trying to follow in your footsteps.

Reread the answers you got if this is what you really think.

Each and every one of them stipulated that the memory aid is garbage without knowing the anatomy and physiology of what you are looking at. Move past wanting a memory aid that will not help you understand what is going on.

Just because your service doesn't use 12 leads doesn't mean that you should not learn how to read them. After all, you may decide to go somewhere that exects more from their providers.

I agree with AZCEP. We are trying to help you. Your service is not doing you any favors if they are not properly educating you as a provider. It is ok to question the education you receive and demand more from your service. I think that is what many of us are advocating.

As far as the all caps thing. Most people equate all caps with yelling or strongly emphasizing a point. In addition, posts are much easier to read when properly typed. Do not take our comments as attacks. Perhaps you can even learn from our comments and help implement an educational program that both you and your service deserve.

Take care,

chbare.