Fresh EMT-B in NW Ohio/Toledo searchin' for a job.

8-bit

I was wondering if anybody had any info on the ambulance companies in the Toledo area. I've put my application in at LifeStar and Medcorp but still haven't heard anything back. It's been quite awhile.

I don't have much experience seeing as I'm 3 or so months out of getting my NREMT cert. I don't know what else I should put on my applications.

I also put in at my local Fire Dept. [Walbridge.] but the background check is taking forever. [3 months.]

Any advice/wisdom any one would wish to impart on my would be very much appreciated.

I'm the only one I know that is involved in this field. And the LifeStar place is an all online application thing and if you call them you can't actually talk to the people who does the hiring.

I'm not making excuses [maybe I am.] I'm just frustrated.

I'm the only one I know that is involved in this field. And the LifeStar place is an all online application thing and if you call them you can't actually talk to the people who does the hiring.

Look for places that their ambulances are. Walk up and introduce yourself. If you can make friends better chance of getting in the door. Also go visit the station. Meet people. Networking will get you a job faster than emailing an ap.

It seems to me that if you have only applied to two places in three months...You have no business being frustrated.

You need to get out and enhance your chances of gaining employment. EMT-B is not exactly a rare certification..

Make yourself visible to those doing the hiring. Applying online or over the phone is not going to cut it. You need to be out in the world selling yourself. Anything less cannot be considered an effort. A company would be more apt to hire an aggressive individual actively pursuing employment with their company.

You need to prove yourself, not the other way around...

That's the thing though, these places it seems the only way of talking to them is through e-mail or phone. If it wasn't, I would be at their doorstep.

In Toledo, there is only two places. MedCorps and LifeStar.

That's why I'm here asking if there's anything more I could be doing. I've tried calling them and asking them if they've look at my application, but I just get a machine or a message saying, "If this is concerning employment or application status check the website at Mercyweb.org."

If anybody has any ideas of being an "aggressive individual actively pursuing employment at their company..." I'm all ears.

If anybody has any ideas of being an "aggressive individual actively pursuing employment at their company..." I'm all ears.

Do what I suggested. Heck if not posted you could even meet the crews while they clean the ambulances at the hospital. But emailing and calling is not best way to get a job. In person is where you need to be.

When I thought I was going to be moving back to Toledo (ended up moving to Tulsa instead)....I checked out the how they did EMS there. Basically Lucas county has their own ALS service which only hires Paramedics (so that ruled me out as I'm just a basic right now) then you have your first responders at the fire stations. Then you have your transport companies, such as Medstar and whatever that other one was. Basically the majority of what you'd be doing with those companies are transfers and then if the county is busy as well as the fire department ambulance, then you can get dispatched to 911 calls.

From the sounds of it, you haven't worked in this field yet and if you're okay with doing mostly transports/transfers (non-emergent.....usually anyway.....interfacility or facility to home/nursing home) then those two companies are okay. But if you'd prefer first responder then you'd have to become a FF and go through the fire department. Not something I really had an interest in doing so I'm kind of glad we ended up moving to Tulsa...lol!

The suggestions of others are completely correct. A lot of times it's not what you know, it's who you know. Get yourself out there.....go to the fire stations introduce yourself, ask questions and do the same with the other ambulance companies. Getting your foot in the door and your name known will get you a long way in this field. Now once you do that and are able to get hired.....thats when it comes time to prove WHAT you know!

Nothing wrong with getting a little EMT-B experience under your belt but if you want to be where all the good action is......go to paramedic school (which I will be doing soon myself) and get on with the county.

If we ever do decide to move back to Toledo (that's me and my husbands home town) I'll have my paramedic and be able to get on with Lucas county EMS. Which is much better then the alternative in my opinion.

Take our advice and go market yourself even if that means stopping a crew on a break somewhere and offering to buy them coffee!!!!

Good luck to ya!

Thanks alot! I did realize that about Lucas County as the only ALS and yes I don't have much experience in the field and am looking to go on to Medic school but I wanted to get a few months or so experience under my belt [emergent/non-emergent] to see if it's really what I wanted to do.

Looks like I'm going to be on the look out for some on break band-aid wagon crews.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.