Degree after medic school...

Hey ive heard something before about after you get done with medic school you can take just a couple classes and have an AA....anybody heard anything about this??

It seems like i remember it being like a program you go through to do it...not just going to regular classes...also heard about the same thing to get your RN...after having NREMT-P you basically shortcut some of the steps for completing it.

Not sure if i heard correctly...but that would be pretty cool!! :lol:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think medic school was around 40ish units with the degree in EMS being either 62 or 72 units, I can't remember and am unwilling to take the time to research it until you learn to post like an adult...

I'm around 80 units now I think, and all I really added that wasn't required was cellular biology and an additional psych class...I think...

Come to think of it...I guess I don't really know anything... :?

Good luck.

Dwayne

It depends on the college you took paramedic at. If not at a college you get 0 credits for your time and effort.

Not necessarily..The Community Colleges up here give credit for a licensed paramedic with validated working experience. An AAS Graduate Paramedic is attained through the college, with standard college curricula. The program still requires 40-50 credits be attained for the degree.

To use the Paramedic to RN track. The paramedic needs one year experience, verifiable medication administration (duh?), and the pre-requisite classes necessary to the standard ADN degree. The shortcut is the same for LPN to RN, and basically skips the first year of course and clinical. After taking the pre-requisites to validate for the program, you will most likely be looking at a full two years to complete it.

I think this produces a lesser nurse, as some of the basics are skipped in lieu of a 'transition' course IMHO. Remember....paramedicine is NOT nursing, and vice versa.

Regardless of my opinion, the programs do exist. I have known many to go through the transition course only to have problems assimilating to the in-hospital environment.

Whichever you choose, best of luck...Just apply yourself and you should be fine. Expect some time investment though..it is not an overnight endeavor.

, I can't remember and am unwilling to take the time to research it until you learn to post like an adult...

Well good point. Also a search will provide discussions on this subject as well.

until you learn to post like an adult...

Whats with the hostility?

This forum has a lot of great information and a lot of really intelligent, experienced healthcare providers, but also a lot of childish nit-picking that is completely unnecessary.

Let the new guys post in peace without fear of being jumped on by the vets!!

until you learn to post like an adult...

Whats with the hostility?

This forum has a lot of great information and a lot of really intelligent, experienced healthcare providers, but also a lot of childish nit-picking that is completely unnecessary.

Let the new guys post in peace without fear of being jumped on by the vets!!

The gripe many of us have with even some long time posters is very unprofessional text message style posting, grammar that is worse than a first grader, and not using spell check. I am sorry for building on what you took as hostility. Please feel welcome to post, we enjoy new points of view.

The gripe many of us have with even some long time posters is very unprofessional text message style posting, grammar that is worse than a first grader, and not using spell check. I am sorry for building on what you took as hostility. Please feel welcome to post, we enjoy new points of view.

Agreed...If the OP is deciding on whether to further education, proper grammar and sentence formation is a must. With research and evidence based everything the buzz, research papers in proper format will definitely be a mainstay of any degree program..AAS or Baccalaureate.

Plus, properly composed posts are easier to read for the old farts.. :D

Point taken, and I apologize for my lapse of formal structure. As you can see in my other posts I have the capacity for posting in a more "mature" manner, and actually pride myself in my vocabulary and grammar. This is more of an example of feeling too comfortable when posting. I was typing as i would pose a question to someone in person rather than writing it.

But thank you for all the advice I've received on the posted topic. I'll have to look into it further.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.