Info on AMR

mshow00

Thats exactly it. Nothing having to do with patient care. Some of it is somewhat useful, but for the most part its all about corporate policies that I have little or nothing to do with i.e. billing policies and a lot of things such as fire extinguisher guidelines that I already know, partly because I did the same training last year :D

I would be all for getting paid for training that for instance I could get CE's for, or SOMETHING to do with patient care. At least for me this stuff is pretty boring. Especially when you get pulled off the streets and stuck in a tiny computer room for 4-6 hours being told not to leave until you're done :?

Glad I was wrong. I was really worried your were complaining about CE's. I agree many of those company policy trainings are boring but at least when they get sued they now can blame it all on you. Why? Because you knew better as you watched the training.

Well enjoy.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad I was wrong. I was really worried your were complaining about CE's. I agree many of those company policy trainings are boring but at least when they get sued they now can blame it all on you. Why? Because you knew better as you watched the training.

Well enjoy.

Nail on the head :!:

Same goes for all the road safety BullS%$t they installed on the truck's, So they can prove 100% without a doubt that the operator was at fault should a accident occur. I'm sure it cut down on their insurance as well but it still wont take the stupid out of some people's driving habits.

God forbid they would install some laptop's in the truck's to make thing's a little more "marketable" for future employee's in this area not to mention the fact that it speed's up the billing process and they can get that shiny coin in their greedy little hand so much quicker.

This is the thing I never seem to understand. Is AMR a truly bad company, or is it just that idealist EMTs sit around and whine about a company making a [gasp] profit. Newsflash. Unless you work for the government, organizations exist, in part, because they make enough money to cover their bills. Even non-profits that don't bring in enugh money to cover their expenses (be it donations, providing services for fees, or anything else) tend to cut back on services or close down rather quickly. Companies that aren't non-profit exist to [gasp] turn a profit. This profit is used, in part, to pay your salary and pay the people who invested their money into the venture making it a possibility.

Similar question. Do the AMR locations with old equipment maintain it properly? Is it a question of AMR being cheap or AMR not giving new toys/replacing old toys in areas where the employees can't seem to take care of their stuff?

If you want to label dedicated employee's that are professional, do their job well, and consider themself an asset to the community that are looking for just a little bit of respect from their employer, either by a simple thank you maybe , or by replacing one 19 y.o stair chair a month...that no matter what amount of maintenece is done to it, need's to be replaced just do to it's age alone as "idealist" ??

unless you have walked in the proverbial AMR boot's that the vast majority of people have been on the east coast.. then I would tend to say your opinion of an "idealist employee" means nothing.

[align=right] If you want to label dedicated employee's that are professional, do their job well, and consider themself an asset to the community that are looking for just a little bit of respect from their employer, either by a simple thank you maybe , or by replacing one 19 y.o stair chair a month...that no matter what amount of maintenece is done to it, need's to be replaced just do to it's age alone as "idealist" unless you have walked in the proverbial AMR boot's that the vast majority of people have been on the east coast.. then I would tend to say your opinion of an "idealist employee" means nothing.

Hello Mr. Run on Sentence.

But seriously, AMR is not a bad company to work for you just have to know who you are working for.

If you know you are working for a company that will find a way to replace you with cheaper newer medics and you know that you are expected to follow the company line in regards to how you do things, then no it's not a bad company to work for.

I have several friends in the AMR Independence system and they love it. They all understand that they will do more transfers on a given day than emergency calls. they also know that they will be required to do other duties taht they don't want to like standby's and the like which takes them away from emergency calls.

if you are a new gung ho medic who all they want to do is run emergency calls then this is probably the wrong system to work for.

If you understand that you can get fired for being in a wreck even if it is not your fault just because you were the driver and that your partner can also be fired for being in the same rig as you because they can say that you both were at fault because you should have seen it coming and you are idealist enough to know this and still work there then no AMR is not a bad company.

But to bitch and moan about AMR making a profit then you are barking and complaining to the wrong person here. There is nothing wrong with a company making a profit. AMR is publicly held, they have stockholders and actually they are not there to make you happy. The only people that they have to make happy are their share holders because believe it or not the shareholders are the owners and if they don't make money then AMR begins to lose money by people selling their shares. This is business 101 here.

If you don't like the fact that your company is making money then quit and don't say "I can't quit cause I can't go somewhere else"

So as long as you understand all I've said and more and you still wish to work for AMR then more power to you.

In most of the AMR services, it's not a bad place to work. It all depends on the managers at that area. If the managers don't care about the employees then there is nothing you can do about it but quit or grin and bear it.

You do have choices. It's what you decide to do with those choices that is the key.

In most of the AMR services, it's not a bad place to work. It all depends on the managers at that area. If the managers don't care about the employees then there is nothing you can do about it but quit or grin and bear it.
This is problem and has been for quite some time. It get's frustrating hearing all the good about the west coast division's wile the east coast seem's to be floundering.

so why do you think that management is the problem?

What I'm asking is why do you think management is so much worse on the east versus west.

Is it difficulty to get people to go to the east coast versus the sunny west coast?

Or is there some other underlying cause that makes the east coast more difficult to find quality or qualified managers?

If you want to label dedicated employee's that are professional, do their job well, and consider themself an asset to the community that are looking for just a little bit of respect from their employer, either by a simple thank you maybe , or by replacing one 19 y.o stair chair a month...that no matter what amount of maintenece is done to it, need's to be replaced just do to it's age alone as "idealist" ??

unless you have walked in the proverbial AMR boot's that the vast majority of people have been on the east coast.. then I would tend to say your opinion of an "idealist employee" means nothing.

You know, I'd take a 19 year old stair chair over putting someone on a flat break away stretcher any day of the week.

As far as idealism, how does

not to mention the fact that it speed's up the billing process and they can get that shiny coin in their greedy little hand so much quicker.
not smack of idealist and unreasonable views? If you want to sit there and complain about something substantial, sure go for it. Complaining that you have to do things involved with [gasp] billing [gasp] is just foolish because most healthcare workers deal with billing, regardless of if they work for a for profit, non-profit, or state run system/hospital. Complaining about a company firing at will employees who wreck their ambulance or the fact that monitoring equipment has been installed is just stupid. Personally, I loved the one ambulance with a drive cam at my old company. The idiots hated it so it was in better condition than the majority of the fleet even though it was one of the oldest units.

Um... so you're complaining about helping with billing... because it puts shiny coins in the company's hand...

Where exactly did you think your paycheck comes from? The money fairy?? Or are you complaining that the company is not paying you adequately from the shiny coin pile? If that's the case, you need to renegotiate fair wages.... or find somewhere else to work. How do you expect to get paid if you don't help get billing info from a patient? Are we gonna have to create a new EMT level for that?

I know! We'll call it the EMT-SB... EMT secretary and billing.... they can fill out your trip sheets, and collect billing info for you... ;-)

In all seriousness, were you complaining about unfair wage vs. company profit, or about having to do billing period?

Wendy

CO EMT-B

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.