Hey there from PA, USA

kwalter

Was this the right move for you??  

4 members have voted

1. 1.

• yes
    • no
    • i dunno yet

Im looking into becoming a paramedic or EMT, i have a lot of questions about this field and am very interested in helping people. I have military experience with the marine corps and im currently in sales. Im sick of trying to make as much money as possible and the constant hustle. I am looking for a fast pace environment that is ever changing and i think i found one, i just need to make sure its the right move for me and my up and coming family.

Thank you,

~Kyle~

First off let me start off by welcoming you. It's nice to see new faces around here. I to am from PA..so what part are you from?

Second off, it sounds like you might have a good head on your shoulders. Take the time and research EMS. Make sure you know its a lot more than just lights, sirens, and the glory calls. Not all of it is fast paced, however it is ever changing. It takes a lot of hard work, and a lot of education. EMS isn't for everyone, and to make the profession grow there is a lot that all of us need to do to help it grow.

You said you had a lot of questions about the field, well this is the place to ask. Look around the threads, you'll most likely see a lot of your questions have been answered. Theres a lot of great people here who will be willing to answer your questions and educate further. You can ask me if you want.

For now, take care and stay safe.

Thanks for the hasty response, i am currently living north east of Philly in Montgomery County.

I have been told that its a career with a lot of "hurry up and wait", which i'm used to being in the Marine Corps.

I've been doing a lot of research on the education side of it, doesn't seem too bad. I can easily take classes nights and weekends.

I know its not all bells and whistles, and i understand the "bad days" can be REALLY bad. But the good days can be unbelievable. Kind of a harsh Ebb & Flow.

~K~

welcome form the western Pa area!!!! This is a field full of sooooo many variables that it is amazing. I too have a sales back ground but went into this field because of my love of helping people. I am on my way to medics school. Take your time and really research the field. If you can go to a local Ambulance company and ask if you can do a ride-a-long and see what a " typical" day is like. Be a pain in the butt ans aske a ton of question and then decide if this is really what you want to do.

Just a hint though....I noticed you said you wanted to make alot of money while working.....this field isn't always the best paying......and the hours are really screwy at times. As I have learned the only sure thing in this field is your start time. You may not get to punch out exactly when you are scheduled to........it is just the narture of the field. I seriously wouldn't trade my career for anything in the world.

good luck and I hope you find all the answers you are looking for...

sassy

"Just a hint though....I noticed you said you wanted to make alot of money while working"

From my original post

"Im sick of trying to make as much money as possible and the constant hustle. " :wink:

Thank you for the input, i really appreciate the responses im getting from this community.

~K~

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.