Amiodarone Vs. Lidocaine

AMESEMT

Another point for a "paper" presentation sake would be that Lido is CLASS 1b, and Amnio is Class 3 so different mechanisms of action.

Excellent point.

A time frame could be introduced as well, Lido has been around for quite some time where as Amnio has not .... I bet the next NEW standards will change the fuzzy warm protocols that we all must "consider". :roll:

Not to go all spelling Nazi on you, but it is AMIODARONE, not amNiodarone.

Just what ever happened to Procainamide its still classified as 1a ?

Procainamide is still the drug of choice for stable VT. It doesn't get much press because, like lidocaine, it has been around a long time and most people don't even consider it anymore.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We just received new SOG's in our region of Illinois and one of the big reasons is due to several medication changes. Our region took away lido and we now only have amio as an option, I don't really know the "Official" reason behind the change other than the two level one trauma hospitals in our area (St. Louis) use amio. Several of the medics I work with have made discontent statements about amio for the same reasons all ready listed... cost, unsuccessful use in the past, etc. Several medics either do or have worked for other companys with amio as an option, they also just gave us the SOG's to use glucagon those are the two big changes I know of

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.