Refuse Rx to HIV/HEP patients?

Doug

Shoot I have to learn not to type so fast......compassion and RESPECT is what I meant...on a similar note I am currently working on a project for school on OEMS rules and regulations in the state of MA the CMR 170:940 states and I checked this twice..."Any condition or action that endangers the health or safety of the public is grounds for suspension of EMT certification" the word condition bothers me or am I reading to much into it?

Yes, but I am pretty sure there is an act under equal opportunity employer, where they cannot discriminate for sexual orientation or disease unless it affects the actual job.

A HCW with HIV, as long as they are careful, using necessary protection, meaning if they get a cut, cover it up, wearing gloves while treating patients. They should be fully allowed to continue there job. If you do not allow this, this is discrimination.

If any HCW were to have an exposed cut/wound, I'm pretty sure they would get punished for not following protocol. I know from working in a restaurant, if I cut my finger, i must go wash it, clean the wound, apply a bandage, then use a "finger condom" (dunno real name" which would safely protect my customers when i was serving them.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What concerns me is on the job infection. Although pretty much all of us who are still walking take proper BSI precautions, things happen. Think for a moment if you could be fired for being positive for HIV, and you become infected at work. Not only do you have to live with the consequences of having HIV/AIDS, but you are now unemployable in the field that you obviously have a passion for (because I'm sure as heck not in it for the money). I also firmly believe (and tell patients that) BSI is a two way street. Its meant to stop infection, either way. And if the powers that be believe that we are properly protected by the mandated safety gear (gloves, glasses, safety needles), then the public should also be protected from any HCW who is infected.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.