Gastric Bypass and then working in the EMS field

LisaO925

Know someone in EMS who's had it, and did very well. He's naturally a large person (very tall with a large frame) so its tough for him to lose weight and he might still be a little bigger than he wants. But man- the difference is still like night and day compared to what he was.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both my wife and I (the standing joke is we are a "pair 'o medics") have had the vertical sleave gastrectomy. This is a new option, and MOST places consider it still as experimental. The "Gold Standard" for weightloss surgery is the bypass, but studies have found that this (the "sleave") is basically just as effective, and it is less invasive. The Band, which we had both considered works well about 60% of the time. I know myself, and I'd be one of those idiots who'd get the band, and then with a syringe and NS, decide how much I can eat each day. The bypass kinda scared me a little. Then my surgeon talked to us about the sleave (which, thankfully our insurance covered). Basically, what it is, is they insert (via laproscopic surgery) as 32F Bougie into the stomach as a "mold." Then, they use a device that cuts away the "excess" stomach, and staples what is left together, in one swoop, so to speak. This is nice, as it rules out dumping syndrome (all gi sphincters are still intact). It does effectively reduce the size of the stomach to about 4 ounces post surgery.

Of course, you can "eat out of it" and there are less foods that might "disagree" with the patient afterwards, but there are no rerouting of intestines, so mal absorbtion doesn't occur. Our Dr. also said that the part of the stomach which is removed (the lower part) is the part that most readily expands, has the most acid producing parts, and also is the part that is most responsible for creating the hormone that causes hunger. I know personally, that (I just had the surgery on 4/29 of this year) I'm down 85 lbs, and can eat anything I want (in very small portions). My wife, who had the surgery in March of 07 has lost just shy of 150 lbs.

Which brings me to the most critical part of weight loss surgery. GET INVOLVED WITH A PSYCHIATRIST! Don't just go once or twice...make it a habit. My wife has been torn apart by it. She has completely lost her sense of self, not just with the size changes, but also the HAIR changes, and is having a difficult time regaining an identity. This has put a HUGE strain on our marriage. This type of incident is much more common in women than men (don't know why, but it's what was explained to us). It TRULY is the most important, yet most often "brushed off" portion of the surgery. If anyone wants to talk about bariatric surgery with either me or my wife, please email at Arizonaffcep@gmail.com and we would be happy to talk.

Awesome Az. I was not able to have that option when I had it done (RNY). #1 Tricare did not cover it at the time. (I do not know if it does now). It is still a new enough procedure that the Army is not trained in (at least here at the MTF I went to.) As a matter of fact only 1 of the surgeons is even trained in the Lap Band procedure. He at the time I had mine done had only done 10 or so bands. This is the EXACT reason that I did not choose the band.

I had looked into the band however I needed that fear of the "dumping syndrome" to assist in my weight loss. I am at 90 lbs and still falling slowly. I think that it IS possible to work in EMS and have the surgery. Provided you make the choices that are good for you and assist in your new lifestyle.

Good for you on your continued weight loss. I understand the idea of "fear" for doing one vs. the other (dumping syndrome, etc.etc.). Have you noticed any psych issues since surgery, if it's not getting too personal?

Well yes and no. I look at myself and I feel soooo much better. Then again I have plenty of left over skin in places. I also have head hunger like you would not believe. I am actually starting to realize how much weight I have lost. For example I spent a lil bit today making a video of my journey. It is on you tube for those who care to see it.

I hope this works

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6d82b...medium=text_url

If this link dosent work go to you tube and type in " Nichole weight loss"