Outback Responses

firedoc5

I was just curious, but is there a lot of responses in the outback where there's a lot of opened land? And if so, is it primarily flight response?

My father, while in college did a thesis on the Aborigines and how they could live so far away from the more populated areas. If communication was available, do they utilize EMS?

I know it might seem naive for me to ask, but like I said, I'm just curious. :-k

Let me have a stab at answering your curiosity. Firstly, I'll give you a bit of info on my status and where I work. I'm an Advanced Care Paramedic, had 22years on road with the Ambulance service on the east coast, in my home state of Queensland, where I still live, most of the time.

Now, where I work is on the other side of the country, in the Kimberley in Western Australia (the state). I work at an underground mine and processing plant and I'm employed by the company that owns the mine. I do a 2 week on/off, fly in and fly out roster. Yeah! I travel about 13,000K's to get to and from work but I earn a six figure salary so it's worth it. This is the heart country of the Aboriginal communities and as for their EMS providers, locally, there are two ambulances attached to the hospital, manned by the nursing staff, not ambos. The communities and there are many of them,that are not within a reasonable distance to the local hospital, are visited on a regular basis by specially appointed nurses or they have access to the Royal Flying Doctor Service. By this I mean a fully outfitted plane complete with doctor and nurse to visit these communities, say on a weekly or fortnightly basis, for all their clinical needs and if there is an emergency, the RFDS will fly in at any time. (fixed wing not rotary) It is not only aboriginal people that live in very remote areas. We have many station owners whos properties are larger than some of your states. These people are very isolated, so they have RFDS kits. By this I mean a very large green, lockable box that has, probably, sixty different drugs in it. They are all numbered and when some one is sick or injured, needing pain relief or antibiotics, they ring a 1800 number and have a consult with an RFDS hospital network, based doctor, who will advise them to go to the box and get drug number 164 (for example) For trauma,the RFDS are dispatched immediately and fly in. All remote station (ranches) have landing strips. This RFDS network is spread all across the top end and the centre of this country. Many doctors, many hospitals and plane are involved. In less remote areas and towns, the locals are services by the ambulance service of that state. These ambulances are fully equipped with all the bells and whistles their counterparts in the city have, possibly more.

Here at the mine ,I run a fully equipped ambulance and have a casualty room that will cater for most of our needs. I also have an RFDS kit here, with many more drugs. Some I can give without consult, others need LMO sanction. Here at the mine, we have an arrangement with the nearest hospital that we attend any highway or property incident if our ambulance is closer.

I hope I have enlightened you a little on our outback health situation. We breed 'em tough here................. they will only call for help if they really have to.

Sheambo pretty much summed it up, not going to get much better than that!

Just like to add a lot of communication is done by radio.

I’ve studied Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islanders a tad. Not so much the EMS side more Health and Development. A lot of remote aboriginal communities live in dire poverty; mortality and morbidity from every day diseases/infections/sickness is quiet high even though something as simple as a basic immunization program or education in hygiene or access to clean drinking water could make a great difference. This is were RFDS is helping immensely with their mobile clinics. Some larger communities may have like a health clinic/mini hospital which is manned by nurse practitioners/health educators but most indigenous people have a fear or lack of understanding as to what the health care role plays.

The government pumps quiet a lot of money into these communities but unfortunately it’s pretty much spent on alcohol. A lot of communities are quiet alcohol affected. A lot of residents may reside in a house which may only have a few old mattresses and the cooking facilities may consist of a frying pan and rice which will be eaten on the floor with your fingers. These houses may even house up to 7 children and 4 adults. Access to nutritious food is also quiet a concern as such morbidity from malnutrition is quiet common.

That explains a lot. Thanx lots. I was just how curious how both fixed winged and helo's covered the vast area's. My dad always talked but one station that was almost a city in it's self. The gentleman was very well off.

Again, thanks a lot.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.