Discussion: Disease Transmission Risks in EMS

AnthonyM83

Like I mentioned I try to maintain the 5 foot rule even with family when they are coughing and sneezing. In the late 1980s a large county hospital had 10 RTs contract an atypical strain of TB. That was a life altering event for all of them. Since that time we have gone to great lengths in improved masks and room filtering systems. Luckily, those same precautions could be used for many infectious diseases. What we have found is that patients who are at risk for TB may also be harboring many other diseases such as Hep C, MRSA and pseudomonas.

Pertussis

Here is a pertussis website that offers a good overview.

http://www.pertussis.com/

Pertussis or Whooping Cough is bacterial spread by droplets. Adults, especially seniors or immunosuppressed by chemo or disease, can be gravely affected. For members of these groups, contracting any disease that should be left in childhood can become deadly or require lengthy medical treatment.

The problem with bacterial infections is that they may require big gun antibiotics which then makes the body open for another infection requiring even stronger antibiotics. These antibiotics may then weaken or damage various organs which then creates more problems.

A good example of the perils of antibiotic therapy is a nurse who was treated for a nasal MRSA infection. The antibiotics given created the opportunity for another bacterial infection called Clostridium Difficile or C. Diff as you will hear the term in nursing homes. This required more treatment and at 6 months out, he is still in antibiotic hell.

We usually see a rise in childhood diseases when politicians start to make illegal immigration an issue and the members of that population are fearful to take their kids to the county clinics for immunizations. When it comes to healthcare for kids I believe the acts of the adults should not be held against the kids.

Varicella can offer a deadly potential for adults especially in the form of PNA.

My varicella titer was definitely positive until I turned 40. I then had two negative titer tests. Of course, I then was given the vaccine to continue working with kids in the hospital.

I also change clothes at work. My work shoes are left by (not in) my locker. My stethoscope is wiped down and left in my locker. I change the rings/diaphragm on the stethoscope often and use protective covers or the isolation stethoscopes whenever available. I try not to take my work home with me especially in the form of bacteria or viruses.

As someone that deals intimately with the upper respiratory system, all EMS providers should be careful with these things.

Honestly though, I'm more concerned with catching something that fellow EMS personnel have left on some of the non-porous surfaces at the station than I am with the patients I transport. :shock: :shock: Perhaps because I am more vigilant with my patients than I am with my co-workers.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.