18 and hired?

Fluffpaw38

Firemedic,

I thank you for your attack on my maturity without even knowing anything about me.

Under proper supervision I was mainly doing traffic control at accident scenes and rolling hoses. I was not entry qualified until age 18 after I took the proper classes to become so. Im sorry that teenagers in your area have led you to believe that all are immature and aren't responsible until 25.

The only 18-year-olds hired by our company seem to be full-time, 4-year, college pre-meds. I think it's because they're more likely to follow the rules and be a bit more mature, since they're generally more self-directed and care about their future. They're not here to be whackers, rather to get patient interaction.

perfect, that basically describes me. I'm exploring my interest in this field of work, as well as helping me gain experience for pre-med. Also, it seems like a much more exciting job then what i was doing. lol

Hope it works out for you.

I should note in my system, most EMTs are young guys just doing it to get into the FD, so having someone truly interested in medicine might be a step up. If your system consists of all older professionals, you might still be either too much of a liability or just lacking life experience to be on-par with them. In my system everyone's lacking life experience :)

im newly 20 myself and had the most difficult time finding an EMS company both willing to hire me with an insurance agency willing to cover me. I got my Basic EMT three days after my 18th birthday... was forced to wait in fact to sit for registry until that time. im not sure where you hail from, but so far as im aware, dont you have to be 18 to sit? That was the case two years ago for me...??

One of the reasons i was even hired at all was because of my Intermediate EMT status. Being as young as i am (or so i was told) i showed a deeper understanding of my situation (meaning most companies simply dont hire under 21 these days with a majority preferring no one under 25) Had i gone ahead and taken Paramedic as opposed to that middle step, i probably wouldnt have been hired at all.

I too have run with a volley squad for a number of years, but being on your own in a rig with just you, your partner, and a patient is something all together and wholly different than third riding and taking BPs to help out the crew youre riding with. Frankly, someone willing to practice as a medic without any on the job experience as at least a Basic scares me. Book knowledge is very important please dont mistake me, but experience is something all the texts in the world cannot make up for, particularly in emergency medicine where rarely is one run the same as the last.

Lastly, im begging, wait until you graduate high school to actively seek employment in EMS. I understand the desire to practice while stuck in class, i was there once too, but frankly I wouldnt want a partner whose more concerned with their geometry exam on monday than the patient

Hi Fluffpaw how's it going? Before I start I'm working in London so things obviously aren't the same, but I think I have some empathy.

I finished school at 18, and went on to apply to Uni to do a Paramedic science degree. I got straight rejections from several Unis (almost certainly due to my age/lack of experience) until one decided to take me on (idiots :roll: ). The selection process involved interviews by both the sponsoring service & academic institution.

I'm now in year 2 of a 3 year course, currently working 2 weeks on & 2 weeks studying. Thinking back now I probably should have waited and not let the enthusiasm get to me, you never seem to realise how crucial the "life experience" thing is until you do the job for real. However on the other hand, I can't think of a better way to get life experience than doing this job, so its a bit of a catch 22 situation. When I do work people are shocked when I tell them I'm only 20, and to be honest it scares me to think I'll be a Paramedic at 21.

emt019's post is excellent advice mate, so I'll chip in too with advice along a similar vein (having been in the same situation): Don't be afraid to wait a bit before going head long into the mad house known as pre-hospital care..

Sorry if any of this seems patronising, good luck with whatever you decide to do 8)

Im jus so eager to get going and get experience. Its frustrating, having all this knowledge but cant really apply it to anything because "im not old enough". And to answer your question im state certified not Nationally registered. You can be state certified as long as your over the age of 16. 18+ is NREMT. I will be turning 18 in JUNE.

I am in a similar position. I am eighteen years old, a new EMT and just entering the world of prehospital medicine. I am taking a full year off before starting university-- and only of my goals this year is to gain experience as an EMT. After spending the summer working as an EMT at a tourist attraction and local fire department, I spent three months in Israel (and was trained as a first responder). The medical system there is completely different-- but I learned an enormous amount.

I am just about to spend six weeks on an oceanographic research vessel in the very remote Pacific Ocean-- its an undergraduate study abroad program-- and I am conducting research. I am one of two EMTs on board-- and we carry a fairly well stocked medical kit.

After coming back from the Pacific, I am going back to Israel to be trained as an instructor and continue volunteering.

I look forward to coming onto my college campus with street experience. I hope to join the on-campus EMS and work per-diem for a private ambulance company nearby.

I know I am new to the game, I know that I have a lot to learn, and I look forward to learning it. I really dont seem to be cocky, and I may be a whacker, but I look forward to every patient contact as something new to discover (I am sure this will wear off at some point).

For the record, in Israel, they train their first responders as young as 15. There is a strong sense of community service within the High Schools, and they want to give students the skills early. High School first responders often work in pairs with a minimum of a EMT-B (but called a medic) driver (on a BLS ambulance). The medic runs the call on-scene, calls for help if nessecary, and the FRs take over while in the ambulance. If there is a problem, the driver stops, but there are rarely problems.

They staff many of their ALS ambulances with a driver (often the equiv. of an EMT-I), Paramedic, and, in many places, an MD.

Magen David Adom (Israeli red cross, ambulance service) allows teenagers on the ambulances, but only under good supervision.

I was recently hired (try a week ago) for a per diem job at my age of 18. I've been certified as an EMT-Basic since June of 07, and am on my way to Paramedic School. (Doing Pre-Req's now, Medic classes in September) It took me three interviews to finally be able to take a job from someone. I was offered for the first interview, but due to school, and my whacky schedule, I wouldn't be able to juggle both. The second interview I was not given a job, since in that particular company, they wished for me to be 19 to drive (which I'm not all that fond of doing anyway). I had about given up hope on a job that would work for me and the hiring company, until I heard from a company who I had sent an application to a while back. I went to the interview, with a positive attitude, even though I knew it wasn't likely for everything to work out. About a week later, I hear back, and they invited me to join their department. Orientation is soon, and all should go well there.

I tell you this so you don't get discouraged when you don't get hired on your first shot. Give it time, and show during your interviews that you're serious about a career in emergency medicine. Tell them what they have to offer you, experience, and include what you'll be contributing to their company, which would be your skills, willingness to learn, and ability to be a good EMT.

Congratulations Fluff on becoming an EMT, and good luck on finding a job. Don't forget to be patient as well!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.