Jackson Hewitt Commercial- Offensive?

Eydawn

So I just saw this commercial by Jackson Hewitt about doing your taxes. Here's the setup... African American female driver, running lights and sirens... EMT patch clearly visible. White male attendant, EMT patch clearly visible, attending to a geriatric white male. They're carrying on a normal conversation... about taxes.

She says how fast hers were done with Jackson Hewitt... he responds with "Mine don't get done that fast... and I really need the money..." and then he pulls the NRB off the patient and begins breathing heavily with it. You hear the pulse rate on the monitor accelerate, because poor ol Grampa isn't getting any oxygen anymore.

My take on it: The no money part is hella funny. We all empathize with that! The driver looking into the back and discussing taxes when she's running lights and sirens? Come on. The attendant removing oxygen from the patient? Great! Make us look even MORE idiotic why dont'cha...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wendy, not to pick on you because there are others here that have been just as offended with other commercials (me included) but I think that the public knows the difference between a commercial for a tax prep service and a public service announcement.

I think we have bigger things to worry about before we get all bent out of shape over a commercial.

I have seen the commercial and I have no problems with it.

It's also not technically funny when a cop just punches out the annoying guy in a movie scene (like at the end of "Super Bad"), but in reality watching that on screen is hilarious. There'd no point to doing any commercials or movies or television show comedies, parodies, or even dramas if you had to show every single job accurately.

The POINT of the comedy is to not accurately depict the EMTs...it's surreal. They're doing something ridiculous that the public knows we wouldn't do. If they thought we WOULD do it, it wouldn't be funny to them.

Just like ERDoc and Doczilla shouldn't be offended by that video posted in another thread where the doctor just busts out random medical orders without taking an actual history, physical exam, or reading the patient chart...the point is comedy.

You gotta defend the profession, but still also keep perspective from a regular person's point of view. I had that problem in a previous job...but I learned to chill out with it over time. :lol:

Thanks for posting that, though. The way you described it, seems like classic parody. Doctor or EMTs discussing something frivolous while patient dies...like scenes where guy gets beat up on the other side of a window behind a clue less cop looking around.

Wendy, look at it this way, at least they had O2 on the patient in the first place!

Think about how many "EMS medical scenes" you’ve seen where they put the mask on backwards, or put the stretcher in backwards, or have no sheets on the stretcher, or don't connect the mask to anything at all.

Then there is my all time favorite: At the end of the big shoot out, have a nice long leisurely talk with the hero in the back of the bus as he/she is being bandaged up after being shot 5 times while saving the world... No rush, the world is safe…

-w

It's also not technically funny when a cop just punches out the annoying guy in a movie scene (like at the end of "Super Bad")...

iammclovin.png

Best. Movie. Ever.

LOL, Just happened to see it a few days ago (Hey I've been working!) LMAO!!! it was SUPERBAD!

-w

Wendy! Please go out to the ambulance and spend some quality time with the nitrous oxide and some McDonald's french fries. ITS A JOKE! ITS SUPPOSED TO BE FUNNY THROUGH ABSURDITY! Life is too short to be this serious and hey, after most of us lived through the "handstand defibrillation" on one of those stupid prime time soap opera rescue shows, everything else is pretty much childs play.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.