Want ot be a EMT in US but am from UK

maz999

Hi all,

I dont know if this post has been done before.

I am over in the UK and want to become a paramedic or your equivelant to a EMT over here but I cannot as I need a certain thing on a driving liance called a C1 or D1 and I dont.

I have always wanted to go overe to america and become a EMT or police officer but I think EMT would suit me.

I dont quite know how this would be done. Anyone have ideas.

Thanks

Maz

Going from country to country, I'm not sure. You'll probably have to start from square one over here. But with the education you already have you should be able to fly right through it.

Maz - there are EMTs and medics out there on all sorts of medications. Most companies want to know that you are healthy enough to lift patients and won't pass out on a call or become a patient yourself.

As for coming over here and becoming an EMT; you will want to check with where you want to train and then ultimately work - most places will want a green card, which means that your next question is this: do you want to become a permanent US resident? I know that there are visas for education and work, but I don't think that EMT training and work is considered - well, critical isn't the word, really, but high profile/high priority enough. You will want to check with your local US consulate.

I have asthma would that be a problem but I havent took meds for it in a year

Me too.

Ok, so green card.

I have qualifications and currently and working in admin as wellas voluntery work.

I will ask around. Also its a lot to face as in where to live money and I might not even get through. But I think I will on the medical side as I love to learn about that.

I will ask around

Here is the only place you should be looking. Unfortunately, unless you have family here, it is not going to be good news.

If you became a Paramedic in the UK, you would find it much easier to move to Canada, or Oz. They also have more progressive systems, than most of the US

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.