Post your STEMI

Trauma612

Purely prophylatic. I believe the benefits of giving an anti-emetic with that large dose of morphine, in the presence of an acute coronary event far outweigh the risks. I'd hate to be in the middle of busting my butt trying to ensure this gentleman arrives to the cath lab alive, only have him start vomiting, thereby increasing the oxygen demand further on the myocardium. In this particular call, I had the gut feeling that the stress of vomiting would end this man's life rapidly.

I think that's reasonable. Our protocol only calls for "reactionary" antiemetic if you will, but in a case like this I think I would probably do the same thing.

LOL I'm still stuck on that ECG. How the hell did you keep yourself from making some inappropriate comment when you saw that for the first time? My eyes would have been as wide as saucers!

Elevation in AVL, V-3 and he says V-4 too but how can you tell.

Depression in II, III, AVF

He also said that V-1 and V-2 were elevated one mm but that would be a stretch.

Huh... I'm really surprised a doc would make that choice-- not only are those really small "elevations" and not visible in 3 contiguous leads, but there is a left bundle which in general will confound evaluation of the ST segment anyways! Did you ever hear back how the cath went? ...Or at least cardiac labs?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh... I'm really surprised a doc would make that choice-- not only are those really small "elevations" and not visible in 3 contiguous leads, but there is a left bundle which in general will confound evaluation of the ST segment anyways! Did you ever hear back how the cath went? ...Or at least cardiac labs?

I know she has had 10 stents placed over the last 5 years.....not sure what happened the other night but I plan on checking tonight. Will let you know.

BTW..I like the idea of prophylactic treatment of N/V in a STEMI. Never thought of that before. :lol:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.