Paramedics sleep while FF's take care of EMS

spenac

After reading the article, I have a question...

Are the medics at the ambulance base aware that the fire department has been dispatched for a medical emergency? If they are unaware, they can't be blamed for sleeping if they don't know that there is a call in progress.

I'm not surprised by the circumstance. Like any other bureaucracy, the bottom line is dollars. Some pencil pusher figured out how to save a few bucks... and now it is probably going to bite somebody in the posterior.

Actually spenac it seems like the firefighters are complaining that patients aren't getting the care that they deserve. I can hardly fault them for that.

Then WOW FF's admitting they are not the best at patient care. :twisted:

But really some of our brothers from down under whats up with this? Your busy body American brothers want to know.

• 1 month later...

I honestly don't know if I believe a word that is printed in this article. There is not one shread of evidence or stat to back up the fire dept claims, just some vague claim about medics sleeping that sounds more like gossip than anything.

I do however find the fire dept complaining about ems sleeping quite ironic.

In October of last year the Land Transport Safety Authority in New Zealand (who regulate on duty hours for those whose jobs involve driving) changed the maximum work period to no more than 5 1/2 hours then a 30 min break with a maximum of 13 hours in a 24 hour period and a 10 hour stand down.

The crews in some parts of St. John's central region (ie. Otaki) run a 3x3 roster. This is 7am-6pm day one, 7am-6pm day two, on call 6pm-7am then 6pm-7am day three. This 24 hour block on day three places them well outside the driving regulations. Therefore, there comes a point that they can no longer work. Fines are large and can be handed out to individuals and companies.

Additionally the Ambulance Officer (AO) is often single crewed in this area with the nearest backup being upwards of 45minutes away. An increasing problem in some areas is the only help for the AO for lifting or driving is the volunteer fire brigade who, rightly so, get miffed about having to take time off work (unpaid) to perform the work of another service.

In Wellington, where the ambulance service is provided by Wellington Free Ambulance (WFA), fire is only used for lifting assistance where the patient is exceptionally large (requiring 4+ people) and for CPR assistance at arrests.

With regards to Fire/Ambulance roles, Fire puts out fires, cuts people from things, and does CPR. Very occasionally will they provide a first response. Their training ranges from a 2 day first aid course to a 4 day advanced first aid course.

Ambulance services are provided by private, non-profit companies contracted by the Ministry of Health. Training varies, but WFA is in the process of transitioning to a 3 year undergrad degree. Most new staff have it, and many existing staff are working towards it.

In general, there is a very good relationship between fire and ambulance, especially when they invite us over for cake and scones.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.