First responders L&S on POV insurance requirements

spenac

Have you informed your insurance if you respond POV?  

10 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • I will never wreck so not going to tell them

I don't know of any department, even paid on call, that provides vehicles for its staff. If they could afford to do that, they would probably be staffed anyway. I've only ever seen vehicles for chiefs to use on departmental business.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow… :lol: Do they at least pay for your fuel?

Nope, many rely on over-adrenalined whackers to continue to provide the services and associated costs for free. Whats really sad is most do not even use those expenditures to their advantage come tax time........................

Nope, many rely on over-adrenalined whackers to continue to provide the services and associated costs for free. Whats really sad is most do not even use those expenditures to their advantage come tax time........................

And now do you see why USA EMS is so low paid?

But again whether paid or volly if you respond POV or even if not yet you have L&S you better protect yourself with an insurance check up.

My tax lady warned me, that even though I could write off items I purchase, or fuel, etc.. I was leaving myself open to be audited. Even with lists, mileage records and receipts, she felt it was a bad idea.

My tax lady warned me, that even though I could write off items I purchase, or fuel, etc.. I was leaving myself open to be audited. Even with lists, mileage records and receipts, she felt it was a bad idea.

You have to meet so many areas of proof but if you can back it up and it adds up to enough it is worth audit hassle. The government relies on those that fear audits to offset some of those that outright cheat.

But regardless of taxes make sure you have insurance. I would hate to hear that any of you that respond POV died and your familys were now out on the street because you were not covered.

I am employed by one of the squads that I run L&S on my vehicle for. In an area where we only have 400 calls a year we can't afford to be staffed full time by paid members. We have coverage of paid staff monday through friday ranging from midnight to 4 in the afternoon on some days. We only staff two critical care teks and rely on drivers or basics to come out and assist as needed. My insurance company states right in my policy that I am covered when using L&S enroute to a call. It is also stated in the squads insurance that any vehicle that has a member in it responding to a call is covered by their insurance.

I am employed by one of the squads that I run L&S on my vehicle for. In an area where we only have 400 calls a year we can't afford to be staffed full time by paid members. We have coverage of paid staff monday through friday ranging from midnight to 4 in the afternoon on some days. We only staff two critical care teks and rely on drivers or basics to come out and assist as needed. My insurance company states right in my policy that I am covered when using L&S enroute to a call. It is also stated in the squads insurance that any vehicle that has a member in it responding to a call is covered by their insurance.

FYI:

I worked at a base that only had a call volume in 2006 of 217 calls.

Another base in the same service had a call volume of 120 for the year.

Another base had a call volume of 80 for the year.

The absolute BUSIEST base in the entire service of 14 bases in the service had a call volume of 701 in 2006 and it was near double the next busiest base.

ALL of the bases, from the 80/year to the 701/year had fully paid crews at them. By the way, our wage as a PT employee was $27.16/hr plus 14% in lieu of benefits.

Care to continue saying it is not possible to have a paid staff at all times?

FYI:

The absolute BUSIEST base in the entire service of 14 bases in the service had a call volume of 701 in 2006 and it was near double the next busiest base.

ALL of the bases, from the 80/year to the 701/year had fully paid crews at them. By the way, our wage as a PT employee was $27.16/hr plus 14% in lieu of benefits.

Exactly there is no way to say there is not enough money to have paid staff. To many examples of small towns with paid services. My part time service has fewer than 300 calls per year yet often has enough paid staff for two ambulances. This is a small rural community with most living below poverty level. It is just all the vollys quit and forced the issue. Then when joe blow important got sick and there was no ambulance, the community organized and got the budget corrected for prioritys rather than partys and holiday decorations. See this for more ideas on stopping the volly nonsensense. http://www.emtcity.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.ph...32&start=30

NYAEMT-I well done for having insurance. I have found most don't and most do not even realize it is needed.

FYI:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.