Prehospital tetanus shot

ptemt

We looked into it for employee health. We figured if we could do the TdAP, hep B, and flu shot in house, it would increase compliance with vaccination, and also be viewed as a benefit by the employees. The state Board of EMS replied that paramedics can only do it in declared emergencies (actually, any EMT can do it in those circumstances).

For services that operate in really rural environments, where transport is very long and very expensive, they may be suturing and doing other wound care in the field. In this setting, giving the TdAP makes sense and might help save a patient a 2 hour trip each way to the hospital.

'zilla

Why is it crucial for you to be knowledgeable about and to ask the patient about tetanus vaccination if the vaccine is not carried on your ambulance?
I think that question meant to imply the author knows you do not carry it in the ambulance for sure, but still wants you to ask about tetanus vaccination (so you can give a better report at the ER and save nurse time?) or for cases where patient does not want transport, you can inform him of the need for the vaccination or a booster.

Why is it important to ask about a vaccinate we don't carry.

I think that question meant to imply the author knows you do not carry it in the ambulance for sure, but still wants you to ask about tetanus vaccination (so you can give a better report at the ER and save nurse time?) or for cases where patient does not want transport, you can inform him of the need for the vaccination or a booster.

Why is it important to ask about a vaccinate we don't carry.

"I believe the intent was to "think" outside the box. I personally never heard or recommend Tetanus injections in the field as routine care. Again, hopefully to educate and expand on wound care and the possible illnesses associated.

R/r 911"

I think Rid and Anthony drilled it. Thanks everyone for giving this topic a shot. :D

I dont think EMS gives it anywhere near me, but maybe like the previous posters have said, its more to get you to think outside the box.

If you ask the pt, then you can tell the triage nurse, and it can be done while the pt waits for the doc. Sometimes triage forgets to ask, so if the medics already know the pts tetanus status, and relay this information its ensures the pt gets the needed vaccine and doesn't have to wait for it later.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.