Paramilitary style paramedic courses

JPINFV

Personally, I've always found it weird that paramedic courses had a paramilitary structure to them (uniforms, etc). I was wondering, what are the benefits of adopting a paramilitary structure vs other educational structures (ex: what ever structure a state college would be considered)? Also, why do you feel that paramedic programs should be structured this way?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm trying to understand.... because they wear uniforms you feel they are paramilitary?

Uniforms is part of the job.

School is not a job. School is school (clinicals and internship, notwithstanding).

No other medical profession wears a uniform to school. Ever been to a medical school? You'll see more shorts and sandals than San Francisco in 1969.

But I am pretty sure that JP was addressing much more than just a dress code.

I went to basic like this...

Dress inspections at the beginning of every class, squads, squad leaders, pt, no facial hair, etc. If you showed up to class without a stethoscope, watch and BP cuff, you were sent home. If you got sent home twice, you were dropped. Doors locked 5 mins prior to class. If you weren't in your seat at that time you stayed outside until the break and met with the instructor to request permission to come back to class.

You were expected to be a representative of your program and EMS in general, any time you could be identified as such. While in uniform, on or off campus, there was no alchohol or tabacco use of any kind. If you were seen to be smoking while in uniform, it cost you a day at home. As above, two days missed and you were dropped. It did much I think to instill pride and professionalism not only in appearance, but in attitude in all things concerning EMS.

It all felt a little surreal to me though, as I was older. I wear clean cloths, shave and shower before each class...but much of the class was kids. The way they showed up for orientation was amazing. Dirty, noisy, laying on tables, wrestling and playing grab ass...Yet they didn't leave the class this way.

The structure was very good for most I think, as well as creating a perfect environment for the serious students to learn in.

I would have liked to have seen some components of this integrated into my medic class.

Would I choose that type of environment again? No. Too much time spent on behavior modification (Which I felt was mostly wasted on me) that could have been spent on didactics.

Do I think it's a great way to initiate 'most' younger people into the field? Definitely

Dwayne

(Sorry for the huge spacing in this post, it doesn't show up that way until I post...I'm not sure how to fix it)

I'm going to guess that this type of envirnoment is a by-product of the fire service academy mentality of the instructors. As already mentioned, not necessarily good or bad, just a bit different.

There is no need for this in class. If somebody is to immature kick them out we don't need them.

In my school we have a school shirts that must be worn to clinicals and rideouts.

Like dust mentioned get on college campus and people show up in whatever they want and all to often attendance is not required.

School is not a job. School is school (clinicals and internship, notwithstanding).

No other medical profession wears a uniform to school. Ever been to a medical school? You'll see more shorts and sandals than San Francisco in 1969.

At my college the culinary arts students are always in their uniform.

Just saying, you can point to one that does one thing and I can point to one that does the opposite.

I'm trying to understand.... because they wear uniforms you feel they are paramilitary?

Uniforms is part of the job.

I was using the uniform as an example, but listening to peoples' stories and looking at some of the videos from the local paramedic courses in Orange County (Riverside Community: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kev2Sn42tUc), it looks like regimental drills are more important that an actual solid education at times.

(Sorry for the huge spacing in this post, it doesn't show up that way until I post...I'm not sure how to fix it)

I'd rather read one sentence paragraphs than a solid wall of text where every sentence is a different point.