EMT-CC to EMT-P

Jacobg55

In most parts of NY they are phasing out the EMT-I. There really is no need for this level of care anymore.

I have heard the same about the CC, but nothing concrete as yet.

There has never been a legal issue with the bridge course / advanced standing, I just believe that nobody wants to be the one to take it on, in case it goes tits up. I think St Vinnies used to offer advanced standing for CCs, as well as somewhere upstate.

Look at the figures though, 2,500 EMT-CCs, and 1,500 EMT-Is in NY state. Would it not seem like a logical step to offer a bridge to EMT-P, providing standards were maintained (perhaps mandated for registry too) thus hopefully creating a few thousand more capable and experienced providers out there, and getting rid of two of the many EMT-insert-letter-of-choice-here certifications.

New York EMT-CC (Critical Care), used to be called AEMT-3, With AEMT-4 being full Paramedic. The CC is about equivalent in hours to NREMT-I-99. With a lot less A&P and some less meds and skills.

I personally don not think you will see EMT-CC in New york phased out especially when you have a lot of volunteer ALS providers, like in Nassau, and Suffolk county, and in rural upstate.

As far as a bridge class from CC-P, when I looked at this in the mid 1980's, the only place in NY that was doing it was Westchester County Medical Center, and it was not an official bridge course.

The way it went was you enrolled in a basic medic class, and because you were a CC you would miss the I.V. skills station or the basic Defib and cardioversion station, stuff like that.

I ended up taking the full class, which is what I would recommend to you.

Good Luck,

Hi

does anyone have info who will grant an Advanced standing from EMT-CC to EMT-P in the NY area ?

Ohh, and by the way, you'll have to be a litttle more specific since New York State is HUGE. A region might help, NYC, LI, Albany, Finger Lakes, Western etc. Or maybe, a nearest city, i doubt you want to drive from Nassau Co. to Utica 3 times a week for 7 months.