I passed the NREMT-B in 45 minutes

Interesting site. I assume I would be able to earn National Registry from this program? How about using it as college credit?

Yes, they are NR. In fact, some of their faculty are NR coordinators. Pretty thorough curriculum, actually. But, of course, you are going to have to find clinical and internship facilities after you finish the didactic. Not necessarily an easy thing to do. It's not any quicker than a traditional school. And, of course, the real booger is that about one in 20 people actually have the self-discipline, study skills, and intelligence to even ever complete a self-study course, much less do so while retaining the amount of knowledge necessary to achieve competence.

Really, there is just no justification for this kind of thing, unless you are seriously out in the sticks, more than a couple hours drive from the nearest school. I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of those who enrol in this programme do so not because they have no other options, but because they think they are so teh awes0m3 that they can whip this thing out in a couple of months and be a medic faster and easier. And, just like 99 percent of those who start the Excelsior nursing thing, I'd bet that most of them find out only after blowing a lot of time and money that they don't have what it takes to ever finish.

Yes, they are NR. In fact, some of their faculty are NR coordinators. Pretty thorough curriculum, actually. But, of course, you are going to have to find clinical and internship facilities after you finish the didactic. Not necessarily an easy thing to do. It's not any quicker than a traditional school. And, of course, the real booger is that about one in 20 people actually have the self-discipline, study skills, and intelligence to even ever complete a self-study course, much less do so while retaining the amount of knowledge necessary to achieve competence.

Really, there is just no justification for this kind of thing, unless you are seriously out in the sticks, more than a couple hours drive from the nearest school. I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of those who enrol in this programme do so not because they have no other options, but because they think they are so teh awes0m3 that they can whip this thing out in a couple of months and be a medic faster and easier. And, just like 99 percent of those who start the Excelsior nursing thing, I'd bet that most of them find out only after blowing a lot of time and money that they don't have what it takes to ever finish.

Dust your right in part. Most I have met take their course thinking it will be easy and quick. They then gripe because it goes so much deeper than what is needed for NR. They are not a diploma mill. This course is based on checking other schools probably the best EMS education in Texas ( sadly thats not hard to do when you consider the 10 wk TEEX course ). Clinicals and and ambulance ride outs, they actually have lots of places contracted with in Texas. They are approved for NR. Texas requires NR for initial cert. The founders of it are NR reps as are many of the instructors.

If you sign up for the courses be sure you set aside several hours a day and stick with it. Do not expect easy. You will need access to several paramedic and beyond books because most assignments are essay that require in depth answers backed up with references. For myself only way to go forward. It took me a year from time I started EMT-I course to certification. Currently doing paramedic and it is a butt kicker. I have asked paramedics from multiple services questions from my course and many times get told I don't know, and you don't need that to be a paramedic. Myself I like knowing what to do, why I do it, what to expect good and bad, and what all to be prepared to do. I like knowing what is happening in all the organs all the way down to the cellular level.

Those that complete their course find NR to be to easy. I get tired of all the gripes about how hard NR is. The EMT-I was a joke of a test. But according to Maxie ( the big cheese of EMS in Texas ) the reason was I actually received a great education.

As to college credit only draw back not transferable that I am aware of.

Interesting.

Well for me I have decided to goto Central Jackson County (CJC) Fire Protection District EMT-Paramedic program. Self teaching would be nice be, I believe it would be more realist to be in class for me. The only thing that I am trying to find out from the school is how to go about getting college credit. The community college I am in now does not offer a paramedic program that works for my schedule. CJC is partner with a college and I have contacted the college to find out the steps in order to earn college credit. Still waiting to hear back from them.

Good to see that there are options for those that feel like self studying. I assume you are right dust as many just waste time and money and find that it is not for them.

I never skipped out on any of the skills or things that I felt that I needed to go over in class. I read my book and passed all my test in 15 to 20 minutes, I was the top in my class, in a class of 23. So if being in class could of helped me anymore than that I guess I would have stayed for it. Trust me the paramedic class I will not skip out on. That stuff is just a little harder than the Basic class. I plan on going on to medical school after I get my medic anyway. Well have a good day. Thank you for the concern on me skipping important parts of school. But it obviously didn't hurt.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.