Surgical Airways??

Medic26

Our medical director has finally approved us to aquire and place into service a "surgical airway device" to replace our current trans-tracheal jets. :(/

We have been starting to research the multiple devices that are out there such as the Rusch quicktrach, Nu-Trach and Cook Melker etc. So what better place to get opinions and feedback than here at EMT City. Anyone have much experience with any of these? :scratch:

I've used the Cook Melker. It did have a lot of pieces but I didn't find that any of them got in the way even though it was a high stress situation. Placing it went quickly and smoothly.

I haven't used the others so I can't offer anything by way of comparison. But I didn't have any problem with the Melker.

Hope this helps.

-be safe

We use the Melker at my service, and though I have never had a chance to actually use it on a patient, I do feel like it is somewhat complicated and has lots of pieces. The benefit to this kit compared to the quicktrach though is the size of the airway that you get when you are done. The one in the Melker is much bigger than the one in the quicktrach.

Not sure about other kits, but this should be a factor in your decision.

#10 Blade, Trach hook, 6.0 ETT.

Oh, and a trach tie. :)

I tried to check on some studies about the QuickTrach. Somewhere, they talked about esophageal perforation during placement. I can't find them right now, so don't hold me to it. I, personally, don't like it. it's not definitive. Just about the same as the trans-jet. There's no cuff on the piece of plastic that ya ventilate through.

BUT, if it's all ya got, it's all ya got. And some airway is better than no airway.

Jason Jones CC/NREMT-P, FP-C

Flight Paramedic

A clean blade and a tube is all you really need.

For the frequency that the procedure is actually needed, somewhere south of 1%, you need an option that you have the utmost confidence in. The last thing to suggest is some new toy that sounds good but doesn't work any better than the simplest.

The tracheal hook is nice, but a disposable nasal speculum works just as well.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.