King Tube or Combi Tube whats your choice?

lilmo63

after many years, I am still waiting for the NYS DoH pilot program for the Combi-Tube. Until your posting, I had never heard of a "King" tube. What is it, a different manufacturer, or different style tube?

i believe it is different manufacture. the king tube is really neat just havent had the chance to use it yet. it only has one port to ventialte through but still has the two bulbs to inflate. check out the website. i guess it can cut down time on makiing sure you are ventillating properly

We've had the combitube for awhile now. Recently, I attended a weekend seminar called The Difficult Airway and learned about the KingLT. Got to use it on a few dummies (no not my coworkers). Its way easier to use then the combitube. One syringe inflates both barriers; its smaller, not as clumsy; you can also insert a bougee, take out the KingLT still maintaining an airway and put in an ET if you find that necessary. We are looking to changing from the combitube to the KingLT but have new physician advisors and they want to move slow on it.

The picture shown on the link looks a lot like the Combi-Tubes I always handle at my refresher classes. Again, as I said prior, I am awaiting the pilot program that my level of EMS, the EMT-B, will be allowed to use it.

The pictures really don't do the differences justice.

Single lumen, dual cuffs. No latex. Much shorter, less cumbersome than the Combitube. Easily the best thing about this device is the "ramp" at the distal end that directs ventilations into the glottis. It is this feature that allows for the use of a bougie to go into the trachea for ET placement.

It is a much better option than the Combitube on the basis of design. I've not had a chance to actually use it yet, however.

I am going to presume the word "bougie" is something from the ALS area. What is it?

A bougie is simply a device to allow placement into a body cavity. For this situation, it is a flexible stylette. They are roughly 2-3 times longer than a standard stylette, and are easier to manipulate into the glottic opening than the larger ET tube.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.