What's after?

dahlio

Right now, I'm in a Paramedic Program, where I am fulfilling the Pre-Requisites. After the next year and a half/two years, what will I do. I am eager to obtain a Bachelor's degree, and I would be coming out of Paramedic School with an A.A.S. What schools in New Jersey, or in the northeast offer an EMS Bachelors degree? I was wondering all this, as I realized that my first semester is coming to a close, and how quickly school seemed to be going. I appreciate all replies.

Thanks,

This place sounds vaguely familiar for some reason. :D

• SUNY Upstate Medical University - Syracuse, NY

Program Director: Gail J. Weinstein MA EMT-P

Email: weinsteg@upstate.edu

Phone: (315) 464-4858

• lists in all of NJ/NY/PA, but I don't see it anywhere on the school website, so that might be a mistake. Call Gail and see. I didn't go to their medic programme, but I hear good things about it, and the clinical facilities were awesome for nursing. If they do have a BS plan, it's worth checking into.

That said, at this point in our development, I don't think I myself would go for an EMS degree, even if I were just starting out. It's just not well established yet. Too hit and miss. I have yet to see an EMS BS programme that had a curriculum I was impressed with. I honestly think your time, money, and efforts would be better spent on pursuing a BS in another closely related discipline instead. You still get a degree, and you end up more marketable and with better applicable knowledge. By the time you graduate and start looking for a BS programme, maybe you'll have a better idea of what your focus is. If you are already thinking you want to move past EMS at some point, then the earlier you begin that process the better. That means if you think you want to be a physician, PA or nurse, then start working on that right away. If you think you just want to be able to move into supervision and management, then focus primarily on Business Management or Public Administration programmes. Those still leave you a lot of elective space to take other science related courses that will help your medical practice (and you probably didn't get in your AS programme) like microbiology, chemistry, physics, more psych, etc... Hell, I think just another AS in Nursing would be more practical for you than a BS in EMS right now. Seriously, nobody can seem to agree on what an EMS BS should cover yet. I doubt they'll have any better idea of it in two years.

Good luck! And plus 5 for thinking ahead!