Primary Care in Industry (ALTA)

tniuqs

Primary Care:

I posted this on another site, but thought I might as well throw it in EMT city too:

Primary Care: Is not routinely taught in the EMS system at any level, here in Alberta: To either EMR, EMT or Paramedic this is a very serious concern to me as many Practitioners take it upon themselves to use "Old Wives Tales" and not accepted medical practice for:

The routine Band-Aids and cough due to cold is the run of the mill stuff in the fall season. I DON'T push any shotgun approach cold remedies as they help for symptomatic relief; they tack on 4 to 5 days of misery. I do push the Cold FX though , and Zinc lozenges (that have been proven in evidence medical research ps the Zinc tastes awful, and Buckle's is a patented trade slogan) I push.... mucolytics like guaifenesin trying to stay away from OTCs that contain pseudoephedrines or phenoylephedrine. Frankly we are conditioned and marketed these componds up the ying yang and they just relieve temporary symptoms.

The Rational being that the pseudoephedrines or phenoylephedrine are alpha constrictors decreasing mucus flow and therefore working against the body’s normal physiology, drying secretions and therefore predisposing to risk of secondary bacterial infections.

Best actually LOOK in that throat, ears and take a temp to be sure your not looking at something more serious like Influenza or Strep.... temp being a good indicator between viral (low grade) and Bacterial (Hi grade) fevers.

GI UPSET:

No such thing as a "stomach flu" either, something like 80 % of GI complains are food related or poor hand washing! I love the guy in a Camp that c/os of FOOD POISION when he’s the only one eating in a camp..... But if you get 16 with the same complaints... look to the kitchen. I personally don't hand out Imodium or Gravol on a whim....re: sedative side effects of drowsiness put a guy back to work sedated and your opening up a can of liability worms. Pepto Bismal is a great alternative here, but cautions that stool will turn black.....No buddy you’re not bleeding!

REPORTING:

The big deal is the reporting deal, make certain that the visitor reports to the supervisor, in Alberta the onus is on the patient NOT the medical staff, lots of FOIP stuff beyond the OH + S regulations to be certain.

If c/o of possible STDs...Flip em to town I say, no way one can treat or do accurate DX without lab work.

SERIOUS INJURIES:

Yes they do happen despite the Safety measures that a literally pounded and repeated over and over...sometimes I believe that this could be a problem in itself "the Brain gets turned off" I have had fractured Spines, Head injuries and lots of Digit concerns...i.e. degloving injuries as well, don’t drop your guard cause shyt does happen when you least expect it...really really.

FEET/ Blisters +++ LOOK AT THE BOOTS!

MEDICAL:

Now this with the increasing age of the "Maturing" Workers is really a second thought these days, and should be first!

The regulations for OH + S simply DO NOT address this situation AT ALL. I can tell you with many Workers (after being on many remote sites) that they will approach you with the multiple "MEDS" they are on....they don’t disclose this when asked to put it on paper (i.e. No Job security) but once they gain confidence that you actually have some integrity they will approach the "MEDIC" typically over supper or "just stopping by" to shoot the breeze, DO your homework, use the internet to really investigate THEIR concerns, print out information and give them options ..... If you do you WILL become part of the Team, Trusted and Respected and this is NOT easy being a regulated entity and a must have on Site.

Questions, Comments, Debate ?

ps and in closing "Stats Canada" suggests that about 25 % of the population is on anti depressant medications...so when you get the Medical forms back and no one is on anything.....THINK AGAIN !

cheers

Seems even more thorough then your post on that other site. Thanks!

A late night edit, check again my clear haired friend ..... :lol:

I am watching a local TV newscast, ENFORM has made prepared a excellent public information release, the getting to work on the extremely busy ROADs

THE MOST DANGEROUS PART OF THE JOB !

They have focused on those that have become Para's and Quads, as their spokes persons possibly because the dead workers don't talk much :shock:

Travelling up to Ft. McMoney on my last trip, it was like playing road warrier with rig trucks, welders trucks and semi's passing me on a one lane highway when I was travelling @ 110 km, they made ME look like I was going backwards.

cheers

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.