emt-b vs emt-p

terr0154

Hi everybody, I have a question for those who may have been in my shoes, just trying to learn from others experience. Right now I am in a EMT-B class, set up to take classes again in the spring and summer, going right into the Paramedic Core. My question is, would it be wiser to maybe start the core next year (2009) and work as a EMT-B for about six months with no school to get better at BLS?

...would it be wiser to maybe start the core next year (2009) and work as a EMT-B for about six months with no school to get better at BLS?

Yeah... about as wise as waiting ten years in between pre-med and medical school. Don't do it.

Stick with your instincts, Bro. Don't overthink it. You're on the right track. Go straight to paramedic school and do NOT get sucked into working BLS in the meantime, no matter what anybody else tells you. It's pointless and counterproductive. Good luck.

Definitely go and get your paramedic education. Unless you are already going to college (like me and many others) don't delay going to get your paramedic. I wish I could have started my paramedic in August instead of January but I wanted to finish my accounting degree first. Go and get that paramedic education!!!!! I will be in the same shoes in January, Go us!!

Good luck and be safe

AMESEMT

Okay, wait a minute. Let's back up a second, cuz maybe I misunderstood the question.

What do you mean by "paramedic core"? Do you mean the actual paramedic classes, or the college prerequisite corses? You are taking a degree programme, and not just some technical school, right?

The answer to your question remains the same. However, if you do not already have all the college prerequisite classes completed, then yes... you should be waiting to do so before starting actual paramedic classes, even if it is not a degree programme.

Yes I meant the actual paramedic classes, not just the prerequisites, I am completing those now.

Sweet, so long as you are getting those done before starting medic classes, you're good to go.