ALS using Lights and Sirens back to the hospital

VentMedic

My service hates me because when they told me I have to transport all patients L&S I asked for that order to be made in writing. I still have not been given that written order and so I still decide for myself when L&S is needed. They figured I would comply and if wreck they would deny deny deny, leaving me out to dry.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spenac, what area do you cover? I just drove through the top of Texas. Do buildings ever get torn down. If so, they missed a couple along I-40.

Naw we's the believers in mother earth reclaiming what she wants at her pace. :roll:

No I don't live anywhere near there. Much further south and west.

Spenac, what area do you cover? I just drove through the top of Texas. Do buildings ever get torn down. If so, they missed a couple along I-40.

There are no buildings where spenac works. :lol:

I began working as an EMT in NJ where ALS & BLS are separate. I started on a volunteer squad. Several very good, experienced EMT's that I learned a lot from and respect.....but at the same time, there were lots of young kids that were there mostly for the thrill. At this squad you couldn't drive until they felt you were capable of being in charge of the crew and you went through the "safe force" drivers training which was an addition to EVOC. In my experience with most of the partners I ended up with, we ran L&S to ER darn near every time. And even being a 'new' EMT, I couldn't understand why. What was the emergency?? We're taking grandpa who fell and cut his arm....what's the hurry. Why are we putting others, including the patient, at risk to rush grandpa to the ER and only shaving a minute or two? I deduced that it was because they could. There weren't any 'rules' at this squad saying you couldn't. And some just did it for the thrill......mostly the younger ones I noticed, that did that. Now when ALS was dispatched, some would instruct the driver to go L&S or not. Some never said a word and left it up to the driver. Once I got to become Crew Chief (driver) I would decide when we used L&S and if it was BLS it was just about never. If it was an ALS call, I would specifically ask ALS what they wanted, and would state that in my narrative.

I also began working at a paid squad where it was left to the discretion of the driver or sometimes the driver would ask the person treating. But there weren't any specific protocols (just like at the volly squad) that stated if/when to use L&S. We ran L&S much less often at my paid squad. But the paid squads had much higher standards for the EMT's they would hire!

I worked at a transport company for a little while where we NEVER ran L&S.....there was no reason to. They were rather strict when it came to that which is a good thing!

I can understand running L&S to all calls because you never know what your actually going to. Dispatch tells you one thing, and it turns out to be another where ALS should have been dispatched and they weren't.....so going to calls I think it's justifiable. But from the call to the ED......usually not warranted especially if your w/in close range. It's not saving that much time and it's certainly not worth the risk.

And that's my two cents......

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.