Was I wrong?

ninjaemtff

Thank you all for your input, you have all helped me a great deal. As for the size of the rock, it was medium sized, it wasn't a stone, but it wasn't like a boulder either. As for the speed, we are actually still trying to figure that one out, no one wants to confess about who threw it. As for the c-spine stabilization, why did I do it? Well there were two other EMT's on scene, and we made the decision as a group to do it because we were looking at a head injury. Stabilization was done in a timely manner and ALS was not on scene by the time we went en route, as a matter of fact when we went en route they were still 3 to 5 minutes out, and its 10 minutes to the nearest facility. Oxygen, I admit 6 lpm is a lot, but my protocols state that 1-6 is by NC anything higher is by NRB. I probably should have only done 4 lpm, however the oxygen did seem to help. As for the pain scale I normally do say 0-10, this call was back in August, so I don't remember exactly if I said 1-10 or 0-10. As for a MOI or indentation of the skull, no, from what I could tell as a Basic, there was no indentation of the skull. The only thing he had was a laceration. He was diaphoretic upon arrival however it was hot outside, his pupils were PEARL, and his vitals stable. The doctor even told me I did a good job for boarding and collaring him, he offered me a cookie and everything. :P

i had a guy who got hit by a metal object in the head. We boarded and collared him, oxygen and IV and routine transport to the ER

When the CT was done he was diagnosed with a linear skull fracture 3 inches long with air in the skull. He was CAOX3 and was joking with us all the while in the ER.

We flew him to a trauma center and he expired a day later due to a brain infection.

a laceration is all my guy presented with too.

As to the pain question, the goal is to achieve "zero" pain. Not a little pain...but no pain. Zero pain can't be quantified as "one" as that indicates there the patient is not feeling no pain (or zero pain).

"Zero is devoid of any value. You wouldn't say you ran one call when you really ran zero calls, would you? So why would one suggest that they have a pain level of "one" when they really have no pain at all?

It's not just semantics.

Brady Essentials of Paramedic Care (2006) uses 1-10 so it's not fair to say that using that would be wrong. "One" can be whatever we define it to be.

Unless ALS can start doing brain surgery, ALS will not do anything life-saving for a head injury? Pop a line and check a sugar.

However, if there is confusion, and the airway starts to go, that's when ALS will prolong death..er, save a life.