Children in the house with nobody to take care of them?

akroeze

I am also from a small rural area. We have had similar situations several times. on one ocassion, our third crew member stayed with the kids. The others, we took the kids with. The sad part is the one time we left a crew member behind, she ended up with a parasitic infection from sitting in the house. Groooossss!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A three year old not in a car seat, on someones lap buckled in the front all so mommy could go and intercept our ambulance for ALS when there were other agencies available. Let alone she responded from about 45 minutes away from the call and caught the rig about 10 minutes out from the hospital. We also have a certain EMT-B that thinks it's perfectly okay to take his 9 year old son on calls with him. But hey what can I say, In this little po-dunk squad I work for certain people think that they run the show. That is why I am actively looking for a new job.

Take care,

NYAEMT-I

(actually a critical care tek now, someday hopefully a paramedic when I get the money to go to school)

Around here we have certain squad members who think it's okay to take their kids on emergency calls ( a practice that I don't agree with) :roll: .

I've seen the results of that practice, seventeen years ago tomorrow.

• 24 October 1990, 2:00pm

Tarrant County, Texas

A 26-year-old [female volunteer] firefighter was the driver of a 1,000-gallon tanker responding to a reported structure fire. The fire chief's 3-year-old daughter, who the driver was caring for at the time the fire was reported, was a [unrestrained front seat] passenger in the [27-year-old] tanker.

While responding to the incident, the driver lost control of the truck, careened from side to side of the road for 650 feet, flipped over, and crashed into a 20-foot ditch. The apparatus burst into flames when it came to a [very abrupt] halt. The driver died of smoke inhalation and the child died of burns. Both were pronounced dead at the scene.

• I remember those funerals -- both of them -- like it was yesterday. I'll always remember the vollie's funeral being the most sparsely attended firefighter funeral I have ever attended. I don't ever want to see that again. Anybody engaging in this practice should be forever barred from emergency services. In fact, they should be barred from driving altogether. In fact, they should be imprisoned for life.

I propose severing the "Kids Left At The Scene" string, and now will create a "Kids Along For The Call" string. Watch for it, or search for it.

They both have clear answers, but I am sure we can muddy it up some more!