• Create Account
Current Chat Room Users
0 users are in Main Room:

WE ARE BACK TO USING THE ORIGINAL WEB SOFTWARE.  PLEASE LOG IN USING THE CREDENTIALS YOU HAD SET UP HERE ORIGINALLY.

Photo

Canadian medic looking to certify with NREMT

NREMT Canada california san diego emsa accreditation

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Hockeygod

Hockeygod
  • Members
  • 20 posts
Neutral

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:43 PM

Hey everyone.

I'm a canadian trained Advanced Care Paramedic certified to work in the province of Ontario. I'm moving to San Diego California soon and I'm looking to work as a road medic. I'm trying to figure out how to set up any meets/equivalency classes before I get down there the 1rst of Dec, but I'm having a hell of a time figuring everything out.

I just spent 1.5 hrs on hold with NREMT... starting to get a little frustrated. Can anyone help me out? My program was 3 years so I'm fairly certain I'm the equivalent to an EMT-P.

Please help!

#2 paramedicmike

paramedicmike
  • EMT City Sponsor
  • 3,504 posts
Excellent

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:43 AM

Gotta spend more time on hold. They're the ones to answer your questions about NR certification. California will be the ones to answer your State questions.

Good luck.

#3 Kiwiology

Kiwiology
  • Elite Members
  • 3,324 posts
Excellent

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:57 AM

There is no equivalency for non-US trained Paramedics. I researched this topic long and hard and the answer was simply you have to go through training again. There was talk of being able to prove equivalent knowledge and skill to enable taking the NREMTP exam but nobody was willing to help. You may be lucky and be able to gain recognition of prior learning from a community college Paramedic program for your PCP and ACP college credits and then have to complete some classes at that specific institution to get a Paramedic certificate or associates degree that would enable you to take the NREMTP test.

I am extremely curious why you would move from Canada (specifically Ontario, which is one of the better provinces) to the US, in particular California, to be a Paramedic. Have you researched pay and conditions and clinical context of the local area?

Edited by Kiwiology, 13 November 2012 - 10:02 AM.

#4 Hockeygod

Hockeygod
  • Members
  • 20 posts
Neutral

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:58 PM

There is no equivalency for non-US trained Paramedics. I researched this topic long and hard and the answer was simply you have to go through training again. There was talk of being able to prove equivalent knowledge and skill to enable taking the NREMTP exam but nobody was willing to help. You may be lucky and be able to gain recognition of prior learning from a community college Paramedic program for your PCP and ACP college credits and then have to complete some classes at that specific institution to get a Paramedic certificate or associates degree that would enable you to take the NREMTP test.

I am extremely curious why you would move from Canada (specifically Ontario, which is one of the better provinces) to the US, in particular California, to be a Paramedic. Have you researched pay and conditions and clinical context of the local area?

All of my family is in California and it was never really an option for the reasons you listed. But I then got a job working offshore of seismic vessels and this is on a 6week rotation. So I can now live wherever I want.

So to answer your question, I'm doing it to be with family, for the experience, and because I can afford to. I'm in a pretty unique situation.

#5 Hockeygod

Hockeygod
  • Members
  • 20 posts
Neutral

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:50 PM

Just found out I need a College to sign me off so I can apply under their name. I'm in the process now.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NREMT, Canada, california, san diego, emsa, accreditation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users