• Create Account
Current Chat Room Users
0 users are in Main Room:

Did you know it is free to become a member?  Just click "Create Account" on the top right of this page.

Photo
- - - - -

How will DUI affect my chances of becoming a paramedic (CA)

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 Converse1762

Converse1762
  • Members
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 09 September 2008 - 10:57 PM

I am interested in pursuing certification as an EMT-Basic, with the goal of becoming a paramedic. Before I commit myself, however, I'd like to know how a past DUI conviction will affect my progress down the road. Will I be utterly wasting my time? I was convicted of a non-accident DUI in August of 2004, here in California. I promptly completed all of my court-mandated sentencing (fees and DUI education classes) and am presently in full compliance with a valid driver's license.

I appreciate any input! Thanks very much.

#2 zzyzx

zzyzx
  • Members
  • 389 posts
Neutral

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:45 PM

I believe that AMR will not hire you if it's been less than 3 years since your DUI. Other ambulance companies probably have similar policies. You should call their employment office and find out for sure.

Not sure about fire departments. I don't think the DUI would exclude you since by the time you become a medic it'll have been many years since. But again, you should check around.

#3 speedygodzilla

speedygodzilla
  • Members
  • 300 posts
  • Interests:Learning, and living life to the fullest!! :D
Neutral

Posted 10 September 2008 - 02:53 AM

Most EMS apps I have field out ask for all violations in the past 5 years, plus they check your record once they do decide to hire you I assume. It certainly won't help you but don't let it stop you from reaching your goals. Good Luck.

#4 Arizonaffcep

Arizonaffcep
  • Members
  • 763 posts
  • Interests:SCUBA, reading, aquariums
Neutral

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:14 AM

Best thing to do is to call and get in touch with the county health department that oversees EMS in your area. They will best be able to guide you through the process. The best frame of reference I have is several years ago I taught an EMT-B class, there was a student who got a DUI 10+ yrs ago, and the state health dept. (AZ is not county by county) was giving him a bunch of grief over it, even though he'd been on the "straight and narrow" since the DUI. Eventually, he did get it and works for a local FD. But, your county HD would know if they have a time frame from DUI to be able to get certified/licensed.

#5 Dustdevil

Dustdevil

Rocket Surgeon

• Elite Members
  • 8,994 posts
  • Interests:Cats, travelling, flying, martial arts, music, brunettes
Excellent

Posted 10 September 2008 - 11:56 AM

This is going to vary from county to county, and from employer to employer. Therefore, there is no "yes or no" answer for you. First, check with your county's EMS licensing authority. If they say it's okay, then you'll need to check with each and every EMS or ambulance employer in that county to find their position on the matter. Just because the county doesn't disqualify you doesn't mean the employers have to hire you. And quite frequently, their insurance carrier will not cover you, meaning they will not hire you. And, of course, in California, there are simply damn few real EMS jobs for EMTs anyhow since the firemonkeys dominate the field. You will very definitely want to find out if there is a job for you before you invest time and money in the school. Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users