Centralized For ONT PCP students

STAT

So Im graduating mid 2008 from an Ontario PCP course....just trying to catch a vibe, what is hiring gonna be like this year? Some sources say that though it will be another "low" year it will be a slight bit higher than last year.....whats anyone else heard?

And more specifically....I heard rumors that Centralized may be down with this year, can anyone shed some light on this for me? I think its a GREAT idea to get rid of it, but thats my humble opinion as a student. If it is going this year, they dont have any info about it yet posted and its less than 5 months away....

I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that jobs will be difficult to get again this year.

There were the same rumors about Centralized last year and it still went ahead (although I believe Simcoe did not participate).

If you're only willing to work in the GTA then study hard, spend lots of time in lab, and start meeting people in high places.

Assume centralized WILL go ahead and work hard... very hard!!! If you're not consistently getting mid to high 80's in your class, it's doubtful you will get past the written portion. Know your sh*t and then know it even more.

If you are successful in passing all phases of centralized, it still guarantees squat. There were 80 of us that were successful for TEMS but only 25 positions. Those with the highest scores were hired, the rest got a nice letter. :-)

There are always other options, of which, you will first need to pass the written. So, know your sh*t and then know it even more.

Best of luck in finding a position. If you do the time, you'll be stylin'

Cheers!

The rumors that centralized testing will be trashed have been around since centralized testing was introduced. Every year for about 3 - 5 years have been "low" years in respect to hiring. Don't make the mistake of assuming that because more people will be hired then last year that it will be easy to get a job. If you want a job, it's simple. Study everything and study it hard, and make sure you are on the mark when it comes to scenarios. Be willing to leave everything and go North. Along those same lines, if you are willing to put the work in to achieve reciprocity, be willing to go West. Getting a job in this province is damn hard right now, but it's not impossible.

Best of luck, and keep your skills up and your brain full!

Even if you are willing to go north, there isn't much up there. I worked for the most northern service, and hiring is not happening. Not even anything in the future. Recently was hired for a southern service part-time, they are laying off two other pt medics because no openings. No hiring for both my services come next spring. Go to alberta, challenge the EMT-A and get experience out there. That is what I would do!

Even if you are willing to go north, there isn't much up there. I worked for the most northern service, and hiring is not happening. Not even anything in the future.

What service was this?

• 2 weeks later...
well, they may not have the positions yet. they went to their committee meeting, and the new positions were approved for 2008. it still has to go to council, but if it passes there, they'll likely hire in the spring.

ahhh, I see. Well by that point I might as well hold off and get hired as ALS as I'll be close to done.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.