EMS/Law enforcement?

So, about 3 years ago I joined Sheriff explorers, got in love with law enforcement, and wanted to become a deputy. I joined EMS Explorers last year, and loved it also, I love EMS and what we get to do on an equal level to that of Law enforcement. I would like to become a Deputy Sheriff and a Paramedic, but do you think that with a balenced schedule I can do both?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where I live in Michigan, there is a Paramedics division of the Sheriff's Department. They respond to all 'Tier 1' calls. (Cardiac, pulmonary, and are around if an ALS intercept is needed and a medic unit from your company isn't close enough).

Unlike some of the people that regularly post here, I really don't have a problem with combining EMS with other professional positions (ie: Fire/medic or Deputy/medic)

I think the cross training and overlapping of services provide better service to the general public, which is what we're here for!

Good luck in your quest!

Shane, welcome.

I think it'd be pretty hard to hold two separate full-time jobs, especially with the rotating schedules EMS and Law Enforcement jobs often use.

What you might do first off is try your hardest to get stellar grades in high school, then go to a four-year college (whatever you do, DON'T major in criminal justice or administration of justice), just study whatever is fun for you (with plenty of bio/chem/math/psych/english/writing on the side). Keep up your reputation as a normal competent person at you PD...don't become an overzealous explorer, as that'll hurt you come recommendations time.

When you graduate, you'll have had more time to think about your career options. You might then, apply to a paramedic program, and work the streets doing EMS for awhile. Then, apply to an agency, go through the academy, and do full-time police work and you may be able to work part-time in EMS. You can do the opposite and do LE first, but it seems harder to leave LE than EMS and harder to find only part-time jobs in LE than in EMS (at least places I've seen here). Either way, you usually have to put in full-time work in each before going part-time.

Then, there's the option of a combined EMS/LE department (public safety departments), though you might have to do FD also. If you're into it, California Highway Patrol, is starving for paramedics. They provide you with your own equipment to carry in your patrol car with you or you can work an air unit (combination of LE duties and medical rescues).

But for now, I'd concentrate my efforts in school, with an emphasis on basic math and advanced writing that you'll use in both fields.

I'm an only an EMT-Basic (below EMT-Paramedic level), though, but I also have an interest in both LE and EMS, so it's something I've thought about. There are others on here who have done both, though, so hopefully they'll post.

There are plenty of people who do both and do them both well. Because of the cost of living and relatively low salary, you are hard pressed to find a medic or a police officer that doesn't have a part time job on the side.

'zilla

I did both for many years. Unlike firefighting, law enforcement is actually a very complimentary field to EMS. Firefighting is a labour job. Law enforcement is a thinking man's profession. EMS is also a thinking man's profession. Both are all about gathering facts and clues, intelligently analysing those facts and clues, and then processing that information in order to reach an educated conclusion of how to deal with the situation. Medicine is detective work, no matter how you look at it. That is one reason why cops tend to make great medics, so long as they aren't too caught up in being the next Buford Pusser.

Of course, you can be a combined cop/medic in some places, but those are pretty rare and spread out. And the ones that do it usually only do first response type stuff, not full care and transport, which is very limiting. But you can work two jobs too, which I believe to be the better scenario. That way you can focus professionally on one specific job at a time, which is the better scenario. As 'Zilla said, "second job" is law enforcement's middle name, so that's not unreasonable at all.

While I would not seriously discourage you from trying both, I would say that, if you do not intend to devote 100% effort to both, then forget it. If one of them is just going to be a hobby for you, then don't do it. Be a professional, not a tourist. Your patients and citizens deserve and expect that. And so do your partners. That means, go to paramedic school the right way, not the fast way. Then don't think you are done there. You will need to keep up continuous education, which means you not only have a second job, but also have to remain a student the rest of your career. If you don't have the time or interest in either field to pursue college educations in them, then you don't beling in either.

Good luck!

I'm an Agent in the U.S. Border Patrol, and we make extensive use of Agents who are also EMTs of various skill levels.

For the most part, this involves providing medical care to the illegals whom we apprehend. May stations have dedicated EMS vehicles that are equipped to carry pts instead of arrestees. It involves dealing with many heat related injuries, and lower extremity injuries, but anything can, and frequently happens.

At the station that I work at however, we respond to many highway accidents and roadside emergencies, due to the fact that our checkpoints are closer to the accidents than the nearest State Police unit.

There is also an elite unit called BORSTAR which are all medical trained. Kind of like a swat team that are all medics.

Thanks everyone for the well thought out posts. I began in EMS explorers because I thought it would help me in my LE career ambitions, but then I saw that I have a love for EMS also. I know I want to become a paramedic, because then I can give the best care possible to my patients. To whoever posted about the SWAT medic position, that is a great idea, and I do want to make it on to SWAT someday, so that would really combine my loves. Im thinking I may be able to work part time as a medic and full time in LE.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.