Career day speech?

kelfr25

Hi... I'm new here, so I hope I put this in the right place.

I'm an EMT in Texas, and have been for two years. I have done career days through work, but I've always had my truck and my goodies to demonstrate. This time, it's just me. I volunteered to do it at my son's school for all the 2nd graders, including him, which may be part of why I'm so nervous.

Anyone have any ideas on what to say? Thanks!

2nd graders have short attention spans, so keep things simple and interesting. Use humor and demonstrations as much as possible.

Bring in your radio (or *A* radio), a simple first aid kit with some roller gauze in it, and a C-collar. You can always get them to help you with C-collaring the teacher, or you can C-collar a volunteer kid; show them how to do simple splints with whatever you have at hand, let them play with the cheap walkie after you show them how you do it, and explain when to call the ambulance and what you guys do. And what you guys do NOT do. Also explain to them what they should do if they hear an ambulance coming (stay on the sidewalk and cover your ears 'till it goes by).

You can use some really simple props to get their attention, and if you do something goofy to the teacher they will love you. If you have a personal steth, play with that too. Just give them a general idea of who you are, and what you do, and keep it fun. :) Good luck!

Wendy

CO EMT-B

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.