san francisco ems

timdog88

high cost of living is one of the big things that I am considering. I spoke to a guy from AMR in oakland and he said they are paying medics there about 50k to start. It seems to me from looking on craigslist and others that a 2 bedroom apt could be had for around 2k a month, so that doesnt sound too unreasonable. How high is the state income tax and union dues? is there something else I'm missing( I know gas is also very high). I make about 40k where i'm at, so it seems like the extra money would even it out when you consider cost of living, but I dont know for sure.

What kind of area is that apartment? So $24000 a year gone. Still got utilities. Also figure you will lose at least $10000 to taxes. Only leaves $16000 to take care of car, gas, food, credit cards, utilities, union dues, etc.

What do you pay for rent where you are?

When I rode with them a couple times last year, they had 1-Medic/FF and 1-EMT/FF in the SFFD ambulance...(BTW, one of those medics was the worst ride-along I've had...he was great to me, but verbally abused patients and slammed a homeless post-ictal guy against the ambulance b/c he couldn't answer the A/O3 questions right....among other things).

PS

Gas is expensive here, too...

...BTW, one of those medics was the worst ride-along I've had...he was great to me, but verbally abused patients and slammed a homeless post-ictal guy against the ambulance b/c he couldn't answer the A/O3 questions right....among other things.

I remember you telling that story. That is so common in big city FD systems that it's not even surprising anymore. The things I've seen in big city FD EMS are simply unparalleled in non-FD EMS for pure shock value. If you want the ability to get away with murder and still keep your job, big city FD is the way to go.

well, i pay 750 a month now for a room in a friends house, so it would only be about 250 a month more (would be sharing the 2 bedroom with a friend). I checked on state income taxes, and it would be about $80 every paycheck more than i play now. throw in higher gas, food, and whatnot and it seems like 10k extra a year would about even things out. at least i hope so, because i think im gonna do it. i really dont like where im living, and i see no reason to stay if im unhappy. anyway, we'll see what happens.

at least i hope so, because i think im gonna do it. i really dont like where im living, and i see no reason to stay if im unhappy.

I can't disagree with that. I'd rather be unhappy someplace new, where there is at least a little variety and excitement, then to be unhappy in the same place I've been unhappy forever. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

But dude, I sure wouldn't recommend just packing up the Pinto and running out there without a concrete plan and job offer. That's crazy. And really, if you're talking about breaking even, that's not much of a plan. At least try to do something that is an actual move UP. I mean, after all, if it is happiness you are seeking, is a lateral move really the answer? Is SF the only option left in the U.S.? Even if you are gay, I can think of a lot better options than SF.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.