Job Advice/Situation Advice

tskstorm

Well this is as good as any place to ask. Heres the situation, I recently started medic school. When I informed my job they asked if I could do my best to maintain a fulltime schedule, and they would accomodate me anyway they could. So I agreed to work 7a to 3p school being about 30 min away from base, and class not starting till 6pm. This gives me a nice cushion for thoose late jobs. Well first day of class I asked to be off on time, I had to take care of scool related stuff before class began, they kept me on the road till about 5pm.Got to class on time but wasn't able to take care of other necessities. Next day spoke to my supervisor said if this is how it is on day one, it will surely only get worse on day 100, 200, etc.. My supervisor cringed but understood, asked me what I wanted, I said well I dont have class Fri., Sun., I can do 12's or a 16, as well as every other saturday when I dont have class and do a 8, 12, or 16. She said okay. Later that day at about 4:50pm I was still on the road and they wanted me to take another call, at this point I told dispatch where to stick it, cuz I'm not taking any more calls I have to get to class. Assuming the call only took 30 min (which never happens average is about an hour,) but again assuming it was only 30 min, I might, or might not have made it to class on time. Well Dispatch told their supervisor, That supervisor called the office, who called their supervisor, who called the field supervisor, who called my supervisor, who then called me. Well when it came back down to me, I was in the middle of a 'shitstorm.' The 'telephone game' changed everything dispatch and I had said into things 10 times worse, needless to say my supervisor and I didn't finish the day on best of terms. I came into work the next day nothing abnormal, regular day, regular shift. Checked my schedule at the end of the day and I was not on the schedule. Okay maybe my supervisor couldn't meet my scheduling needs on such short notice. I called her to discuss it, no answer. I called, left messages. No answer, It has been nearly a week with no answer, and I;m not on the schedule for the following week either.

What is the appropriate course of action from here? I could go around her to the office, or one of her supervisors but I don't really want to 'burn the bridge' or burn any bridges for that matter.

Lost in what to do, suggestions?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude since you refused a call they have considered you as having quit. Right or wrong?

Don't expect a good reference either. Sounds like a crappy company if they aren't properly staffed enough to have someone take over after your last call at quiting time.

Dude since you refused a call they have considered you as having quit. Right or wrong?

Don't expect a good reference either. Sounds like a crappy company if they aren't properly staffed enough to have someone take over after your last call at quiting time.

If they assumed I quit on Thursday why did I work Friday ? Further, If you get restricted(suspended.) They take you out of the phone system immediately I'm still in it.

Further, even assuming they thought I quit, why would my supervisor who got numerous messages/voice mails about scheduling from me not return the call?

If they assumed I quit on Thursday why did I work Friday ?

Because they're taking advantage of you. Welcome to Business 101.

Further, If you get restricted(suspended.) They take you out of the phone system immediately I'm still in it.

Further, even assuming they thought I quit, why would my supervisor who got numerous messages/voice mails about scheduling from me not return the call?

Looking strictly at what you wrote, they took advantage of you that last day and then fired you. Why else would they not return your calls? And given what you've written, that sounds pretty consistent with their behaviour.

Good luck at finding a new job.

-be safe

By allowing it to appear you quit they avoid paying out unemployment. Thats business 101.

You need to go up the chain if your supervisor refuses to talk to you. But be careful as that is a firing offense in some businesses. They are freezing you out, plain and simple. At some point you quit trying then file an unemployment claim and they say no because he quit.

Wish you could have handled your last call differently. But sounds like they suck.

Definitely time for a new job. Whether they fired you or not.

I would suggest against ever refusing to do your required job description, i.e. "telling dispatch where they can stick it". Remember, you are a revenue generator for that company. Tell them you are not going to make them money and they will can your ass. I would too. Hate to be an ass, but your first priority, especially in their eyes, is to the company. Not to your school. Many a Medic student has had to find creative ways to work around their employment schedule. Considering they were consistently giving you multiple calls at the end of your shift, they obviously do not see a value to your increase in certification and education. Being a Basic seems to be just fine for them.................

I understand your grief, but the wise veterans of the board have summed it up quite well. When I decided to enroll for medic school, I was working 24s at EMS, getting off work there, only to report for duty as a shift Captain at my fire dept. Then, on my second day off I worked as needed on a local rescue squad. Having a home, raising a daughter, and still finding time for medic school. Sometimes I wonder how I ever passed. You must decide within yourself to maintain your lifestyle while bettering your life. No one will give you any credits or help with that. I have since opened two small businesses while maintaining my love of EMS, and I can tell you that your Supervisor is holding you on a string, in case they are short staffed one day, or she is not going to contact you and simply convey to her superiors that you quit. Personally, I would tell them to kiss my arse, and move on. You were looking for a job when you found that one correct? Just look again.

This sucks, Bro. I hate to see things going badly for you at the very beginning. Kinda throws a damper on your enthusiasm, I'm sure. I hope it's not as bad as others suggest, but having been in the business this long, I'm afraid they may be right. I've seen it happen more than a few times. Even to me. I've also seen those agencies beg you to come back at some point in the future, if that makes you feel any better, lol.

I almost hate to even offer any advice here, because just about anything you do (or don't do) can turn out badly. Idiots aren't predictable, and it sounds like that is who you are working for. But you might consider that there is certainly a possibility that if management knew the whole story, they might be more inclined to find fault with your supervisor's handling of the situation, and making empty promises to you that they wouldn't have endorsed, than they are to want to lose a good employee. If it comes down to it, and for some bizarre reason you actually want to keep that job, then you might give that a shot.

Good luck!

Keeping the job is not the issue, have an unrelated to EMS job interview tomorrow (this will prevent a similar problem from happening.) The issue here is, EMS is a small community, Most of upper management where I work, are my instructors in class. If you burn a bridge you never know when you'll need it. I don't even care about the reference, just worried about the future.

Dust, if they were to beg for me back well, I'd again tell them where to stick it.

Spenac, I work a 9-1-1 and transport situation, basically you work 9-1-1 with the occasional transport call (Like it was said, its all about income to them.) The call at 4:50pm was a transport call going into NJ. I didn't include this wasn't sure it was relevant but seems it is. Assuming any transport to jersey takes an hour each way, at 4:50pm in rush hour it easily will take 2 or 3 hours just to get there. There was no way I could take the call, and get to class. We all know school comes first.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.