Fears?

I am not trying to sound mean or anything but if you cant even handle a needle how the heck are you gonna make it in medic school? You might want to look for another career.

Maybe hyponosis is something you could try.

ITK

Take an orange with you to your next shift. Then ask the medic to let you play around with a few spare needles during some downtime. First have the medic explain to you how the needle "works" (cath, retraction/protection device if it has one, etc) if you don't know how already. Have him or her show you how to handle one safely. Then get used to taking them out of the package, handling them, and, when you are ready, stick the orange a few times.

If you have a full-blown phobia this might take a while to accomplish. If not then it will likely just be a matter of getting used to the tool and its use.

I do not like needles either. For many years I would get lightheaded whenever I was stuck. The first time I stuck someone in Medic class I learned that sticking other people doesn't hurt a bit :wink: :lol: and that helped me on my way to getting over my needle issues.

Good luck!

-Trevor

Rocket's advice is great. Play with it over and over. After you're comfortable with the orange, actually imagine the orange is a person and you're inserting the needle into someone. Do this for days/weeks until you're comfortable. Make it a habit. Will power is weak. Habits are strong.

I also endorse hypnosis. A single hypnotherapy session by a good practitioner will most likely resolve the problem.

I had hypnotherapy many years ago for stress reduction. Check the yellow pages under psychologists/counselors. You may have to make a few phone calls. Explain your problem to the receptionist and what you're looking for treatment wise and they'll try to match you up with a therapist within their group that can help you. I'm sure the larger practices will have at least one person who does hypnotherapy. They may also suggest some other method of treatment. Good luck to you.