EMS/Fire Info regarding southern CA

azemt2007

I know I suck for posting something that doesn't really answer your question, but I just have to ask...

Is "protocols" really the most important thing you could think of to ask about? Is that really how you intend to choose where to move your entire life to? I'd be interested in hearing what other factors you would find important in making such a decision.

well i have to tell you that no where in my post did I say that "protocols" would be the deciding factor for where I would relocate so making that assumption is not fair to me. I'm doing research so I know where my skills would be best utilized as I am trained on quite a bit more than some areas in california which are very restrictive.

well i have to tell you that no where in my post did I say that "protocols" would be the deciding factor for where I would relocate so making that assumption is not fair to me.

Hey... it's the only factor you listed. And you just went into how important being able to use your so-called "skills" is, so obviously this is of some priority to you. And you STILL haven't mentioned a single other factor that is important to you. You could have asked about pay, cost of living, organisational opportunities, reciprocity requirements, educational opportunities, city or area recommendations, or any other of the normal things that people normally ask about. You didn't. I didn't make an assumption. I took you at your word. So will any potential employer.

I'm doing research so I know where my skills would be best utilized as I am trained on quite a bit more than some areas in california which are very restrictive.

I hope you don't go job hunting with that line of BS. You'll be laughed out of every office in Southern California, or any other state for that matter. What awesome skillz do you have that sets you apart from anybody else? With a month of night school? Anything I couldn't teach any other EMT in one day? Any education to back it up with?

The third degree you get here is nothing compared to what you will get from any employer worth working for. Ask your potential employer serious, career minded adult questions or they're going to make some pretty unflattering assumptions about you too.

Orange County sucks for EMT's because you are basically like a first responder there. You don't get to give any of the meds that we have been trained to give. We don't even have AED's on the units that I run on. It sucks. Other areas, like San Bernardino and Riverside counties let you do more, but I'm not sure just how much. I have heard rumors that San Bernardino County lets us drop combi tubes, but I don't work for them yet so I don't know. Fire is always cool just because, well, we have a lot of fires here, but it is very competitive so good luck with that. EMS pay sucks here like everywhere else. It's amazing that if you learn to throw a ball really well, that they will pay you millions to do that when it doesn't save anyone's life. It is entertaining though. If you actually have the possibility, however small that possibility might be, of saving someone's actual, physical life, they pay you crap and a lot of doctors treat you like some kind of idiot, but nevertheless, we want to make a possitive impact on people's lives and so we continue on....

Take care,

Bombera

We don't even have AED's on the units that I run on. It sucks. Other areas, like San Bernardino and Riverside counties let you do more, but I'm not sure just how much. I have heard rumors that San Bernardino County lets us drop combi tubes, but I don't work for them yet so I don't know. Fire is always cool just because, well, we have a lot of fires here, but it is very competitive so good luck with that. EMS pay sucks here like everywhere else. It's amazing that if you learn to throw a ball really well, that they will pay you millions to do that when it doesn't save anyone's life. It is entertaining though. If you actually have the possibility, however small that possibility might be, of saving someone's actual, physical life, they pay you crap and a lot of doctors treat you like some kind of idiot, but nevertheless, we want to make a possitive impact on people's lives and so we continue on....

Bold faced items would sway me to move there. Rock on. I love dropping combitubes. I drop them on the floor, in the bag, in the trash. It is alot of fun.

Seriously. Why do these things matter to you? I would be looking more at pay, cost of living, benefits. Not what I can drop and where I can drop it.

Sigh.

EDIT: The AED thing would matter to me. Run the other way. The one thing an EMT has the least likely chance of screwing up, and they don't give it to you. Not responsible.

The AED thing would matter to me. Run the other way. The one thing an EMT has the least likely chance of screwing up, and they don't give it to you.

I don't think it's really a case of them not letting them have them. I think it is more of a case of the county not requiring them, so AMR isn't going to spend the money on anything they're not forced to spend money on. But yeah... still irresponsible.

There are two things with AEDs in Orange County. First, as Dust said, it isn't required by county EMS [EMS in California is divided into counties. Each county has 1 set of protocols for every service]. Second, in order to have AEDs on the ambulance units, the company has to be a "certified AED provider," thus providing an incentive to not have AEDs at the companies that provider only interfacility transport.

I only used protocols as ONE example. I didn't list others because there are a vast amount....that's what ETC. means! I have reciprocity in 5 counties in CA currently so I am looking to see how scope of practice, standing orders, relationships with fire, etc are so I can reference to where I'm already certified. There are so many factors involved in relocation and I didn't think it necessary to list several pages worth. Instead I thought it would be better to let the nice people on here tell about what they know and offer suggestions.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.