Just got back from Texas: Hurricane Dean and FEMA (pics)

fiznat

I just got back early this afternoon from FEMA deployment to Texas for hurricane Dean. We left early on Sunday and were dismissed on Wednesday when it no longer looked like the storm was going to touch Texas, and though we didn't get the chance to "see" anything, it was still a pretty interesting experience. The largest drill FEMA has ever conducted, so it turns out.

We spent most of the time at Kelly air force base in San Antonio TX waiting for further instructions. There were a lot of numbers tossed around but the best turnout estimate I think was around 700 paramedics and EMTs, along with 350+ ambulances.

At the Kelly staging area, all lined up and ready to go:

trucks700.jpg

Our accommodations at Kelly. Not exactly 5 star, but we made it work:

kelly1700.jpg

The room there was much bigger than what you can see in the photo. To the right of the camera the room went on for quite a while- it was a big place packed with lots of people.

FEMA did a pretty good job of getting resources into the area quickly. At first we thought we were all going to have to sleep on the floor but tons of cots and blankets arrived just in time:

cots700.jpg

Also some of the local organizations put together various packages to sustain and entertain us. Among them was a fully stocked hygiene kit, and this collection of art supplies:

kindergarten700.jpg

Crayons, construction paper, pencils, ruler, and safety scissors. Awesome! haha

We had lots of time to spare, so our group put together a little sign for our corner of the room:

amrsign700.jpg

Sorry I don't have too many photos of the whole thing, we spent a lot of time indoors hanging out on our cots and talking with people from all over the country. It wasn't very photogenic, but we all met lots of very cool and interesting people who had driven ambulances from as far as California. The amount of people there and the necessary logistics must have been an absolutely massive undertaking, and even though the hurricane kept south, all in all it seemed FEMA did a decent job of handling everything. It wasn't smooth by any means, but I think everything would have worked well enough to be effective.

We dove a convoy of ambulances from Texas to Gulfport MS before we flew out, driving through New Orleans and the surrounding areas affected by Katrina. It still looks really messed up down there, and while some of us were a little disappointed we didn't get to see any real "action" on this trip, I think everyone can thank god something like that didn't happen again.

Did anyone else from this board go down there?

:D:D:D:D

I like FEMA, they're funny.................

No I wasn't there. We were prepped, all hurricane precautions in place. But we stopped Sunday afternoon when it was clearer than day (no pun intended) that the hurricane wasn't going to hit the US.

I bet that was a long drive................and for nothing at that...............

Oh well, its the governement's money (courtesy of my taxes!)

Ohhhhh FEMA, can't ever get it right...............

But on a serious note, thank you for your dedication and assistance, it is always appreciated even if the coordinating agency is the laughing stock of the U.S. Government....(closely followed by the executive branch!)

Well we all went and proved we could mobilize. Our group out of AMR Monroe some how got the job of stocking trucks with the help of various medics from around the country. Would like to thank Christy from California she was a great help and resource on Monday.

As you guys left it was our crew directing traffic and collecting "pink slips". Things will be better next time. As people learn what worked and what did not. Looking for photographs for our local office. Did not have time to take pictures.

At the end of the demobilization our group from Monroe, LA and several individuals from gulf port AMR and texas AMR felt we drove just about everyone of your trucks five feet at a time.

:D

Thank you all for comming =D>

photo_details.do?id=31663

Yup yup! Actually we did ambulance stocking also, so we probably crossed paths that day. Christy was helpful to us as well, although mostly apologetic at the overall lack of supplies. She asked me to make a list of what ALS stuff we were missing and when I was done, we both just kindof stared at the huge list and wondered if any of it would come in soon. We all did our best though, and it didn't turn out to be that bad.

I wouldnt have seen you handing out the pink slips, we actually left early Wednesday morning (about 0500) from right in front of the place where we slept. We were never assigned vehicles or strike teams, so once most of the other teams had gone we took the leftovers and drove to Gulfport.

Did you notice our AMR Hartford sign? haha

yep we got stuck doing the warehouse and breaking down supplies for units. I was at the dome during katrina, and was proud of how well this went. We had more than we needed we just need to organize better and other supplies were on the way.

Unfortunately had this disaster turned bad like katrina the reality would be any patient that needed a full ACLs code would probably have to be triaged out. Even with the crews we had a major hurricane would have limited our ability to maintain a code past first round drugs, a round of defib, and basic airway maintence as we would not have been able to do one on one care.

Now if the disaster had limited patients then you can move foreward with aggressive als.

Yes I saw your very unique sign our operation was to the left of you on the back wall. I was the Matt running around trying to get supplies organized at the warehouse and trying to organized.

For a first drill i am well pleased. We can do better and will do better but we all learned very important information for planning and implementing disaster response. IT WAS NOT A WASTE. Would love to exchange notes.

should we do this again this year we need to organize shelter entertainment on our own. crews should mingle and get to know each other. This cannot be done by shelter or drill managers.

What i noticed was creativity and forts being built every where. That alone was very funny. Maybe talent show off to the side.

Maybe some skills competitions or education. This can be done during the down time at the strike level to pass time.

should we do this again this year we need to organize shelter entertainment on our own. crews should mingle and get to know each other. This cannot be done by shelter or drill managers.

Yea, one of the things I never thought to bring along with me was entertainment for the many hours we would be sitting doing nothing. To be fair, though, we had no idea when we left that we would have so much free time.

The guard guys had a good idea-- they set up a projector and watched a movie on one of the walls. That was pretty cool.

Our division actually went out and bought frisbees and wiffleball stuff. We played a few games in the parking lot in front of the shelter.

A competition or something like that would have been a cool idea, although I think if we stayed there much longer these things would have developed naturally. It takes a little while I think for a setup like this to get settled in, and it seems we were dismissed before that ever really happened.

Next time, for sure. :D

had it really been bearing down on us none of us would have had much time to play. so things need to be simple.

I was in the Dome and can tell you people can be very resourceful. My main concern was the people who came with the misconception that this would be comfortable. Granted shows and food could have been better at the shelter, but lets be honest had the storm hit sleep, showers, and food would have been hard to find.

Also we need to understand this it the type of work that people can get killed at easily, it is very serious business. I know many people went through 911. However hurricanes are different based on massive loss of infrastructure and geographical area covered. The saving grace of 911 was the confined area of the attack allowing workers go to safe shelter and get warm food. Katrina made no concessions and truly made you know how fragile your life was due to civil unrest.

my crew has a joke about me bringing a small inflatable raft. Yet having swam through a flood I wouldnt have trade it for anything.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.