Comparing apples to apples

this post is from a long time reader of emtcity and a newly certified EMT-I

I have been offered seveal jobs and looking for input from those with experience.

I have tried to weigh out the options between the private services, but I don't know if I am comparing apples to apples.

Salary. company "A" pays 28K company "B" 35K

okay that's apples - apples

Driving distance to work

"A" 60 miles (I live in the mountains) "B" 30- 40

Experience

"A" over night shift in busy county known for its crime rate and population

"B" hospital to hospital or nursing home/skilled living facility

both jobs are going to keep me busy and patient contact at each will be high volume.

I am looking to go onto medic school within a year and see myself working in an ER five years down the road.

I'd like to hear the thoughts of those who wish, I'd name the companies if that helps, and hope to spur on a discussion for the many newbies in here as to what is looked at as important for those new to the industry.

peace

If you see yourself working in an ER five years from now, maybe you should consider becoming an RN, rather than a paramedic. It's much more useful within the ER, plus, it gets you a job in any ER and pays a lot better.

I believe this has been discussed often enough for the "RN rather than paramedic" mantra to be burned permanently in the City server's hard disks.

Ahh. Even still though I think I would recommend "B" based on the information given.

It is a $7k pay difference, which is significant. Giving up that kind of money (plus added travel expenses) for the CHANCE of better calls is not worth it imo.

Also keep in mind that you are a new EMT-I. I don't know how long you've worked as an EMT, but if you are new then any experience will be good for you. It wont be necessary to seek out the "worst" county available, since most of your experiences will be fruitful regardless. If you have plans to go elsewhere, seriously, I would just take the extra money and look towards the future.

First of all, plus 5 for sitting down and attempting to map this out in an objective and logical fashion instead of running off half cocked. :thumbright:

I am looking to go onto medic school within a year and see myself working in an ER five years down the road.

Kristo hit on the bottom line. I'm not sure why you envision yourself in the ER in five years. There's nothing wrong with that, but if that is the case, then I would say to take which ever job is most conducive to nursing school. That appears to be company B in this case, but it would depend upon scheduling, which you mention only for company A. It's certainly easier to go to full-time college while making $35k than $28k though. And transfer jockey schedules are generally more flexible than EMS schedules.

Cost of living, and the cost of a community college ADN degree aren't that bad in rural Georgia, I wouldn't think, so Company A is probably a workable deal too, so long as you aren't currently married with children and living in the red. If you have that financial flexibility of being single and living at home, then there's nothing wrong with taking the EMS job to sow some wild oats and get all that silliness out of your system. I certainly wouldn't call it the intelligent choice, but I do understand the lure and the need to experience the streets that so many feel. But yeah... if you're out on your own and/or trying to support a family, then stop the insanity and go for the money and the fast track to nursing school. Anything less is simply immature and irresponsible.

Only a complete idiot would even consider moving on to medic school from here if the ER is their goal. It's an absolutely pointless and dead end choice that will only leave you wishing you had gone to nursing school instead. Your post makes you seem smarter than that.

Whatever you choose, best of luck!

If you see yourself working in an ER five years from now, maybe you should consider becoming an RN, rather than a paramedic. It's much more useful within the ER, plus, it gets you a job in any ER and pays a lot better.

I believe this has been discussed often enough for the "RN rather than paramedic" mantra to be burned permanently in the City server's hard disks.

Definatly some sound advice there. If the hospital is your goal, then go get the proper education to do a hospital job such as being an RN. Most hospital's limit what a medic can do in the ER anyway. You're a tech who can start an IV. Your skills can often times be "lost" while working in an ER. You will stay current on knowledge, and might pick up a few other skills along the way. But paramedics focus on prehospital, nurses focus in hospital. Two different jobs.

As to which one, if you have a financial responsibility the one with less expenses that pays more is where it's at. That's not even a question. As far as getting more calls, or better calls at the other service, the calls will generally be the same (with some exceptions)...it's the same dynamic that generally calls 911. It's just the frequency that it's called. A slower system tends to run fewer trucks than a higher volume system. Maybe take a look at calls per truck that's online? You might be surprised to find that you could do more calls working for a slower system depending on system status management.

Shane

NREMT-P

Shane

I should stop while I am +5 with Dust.

All good advise, and yes, it makes sense to forgo the medic and move onto the RN if the ER is the end goal.

I've spoken with both "A" and "B" and a few people in the ems system I respect. Most everyone agrees on "B". Like Dust mentioned, it is the lure of the trauma drama, the calls that make the news, that seems so sexy. My rational mind tells me that closer to home paying more is a better option. I can alway get a county job to run the true 911 calls. Which I am in the midst of doing.

Thanks for your input.

I'll keep my +5 close by incase I say something stupid later and get docked -10

I've seen it happen

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.